Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want another springer!

I want another springer!

Having started my airgunning life with an air arms s400 and then shortly after buying a tx200hc I decided I wanted an hw100. The two air arms got traded in for the hw and I then added a rapid mk2 to the cupboard. These two are keepers, however, having started shooting again after a few years off I want to add a springer to my cupboard, Again. Now, should one go back down the tx200 route or the weihrauch route? If I go the German way I'd say the 97k would be my preference.

From reading many posts on here over the years I've picked up that air arms out of the box will shoot better however with some fettling the weihrauch will be better. There is the v mach tuning option which should sort out any potentially poorly chopped spring in the German option, although I'm not sure if that is something that is still a problem?

I do love my pcp's and wouldn't get rid of them, although I do miss the fun of the springer, when you hit the target it is more rewarding. I completely failed on an hft course with a springer which is something I want to practice and hopefully on a future springer course actually do well with!

Any thoughts, comments or input are gratefully received
    HW100 .177, GINB FT#7, Viper 10x44, Rowan Stripper / Milbro Huggett
    Rapid MK2 .177, Mamba Lite 3-12x44, Weihrauch Mod, Pulsar Challenger GS 1x20, N1000AP -
    http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._173646-1.jpg/

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    PCP's are fantastic without a doubt, but theres nothing quite as satisfying as shooting a well sorted springer. The technique, consistency etc has to be spot on to get the best, but when it is you just keep shooting way past the point where a PCP would have been put back in the bag.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have had a tx and still got a 97 and 77. Myself I would think about a nice old hw80, I have mostly pcp guns myself but out of my springers I have been picking up my old hw35e, Just like the slimplicity of a break barrel, And of course there is also a lot of light weight models to choose from to.

With a break barrel do you ever have barrel drooping (no pun intended)? I get the feeling a fixed barrel would be better in the long run?
    Rapid MK2 .177, Mamba Lite 3-12x44, Weihrauch Mod, Pulsar Challenger GS 1x20, N1000AP -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyReno1998 View Post
    With a break barrel do you ever have barrel drooping (no pun intended)? I get the feeling a fixed barrel would be better in the long run?
    Possibly on the likes of the old BSA meteor and the guns alike but myself most of mine have been HW break barrels and I have never had problems with any of them, Saying that my old hw77k in 177 I can say is the best Spring gun I have ever had for accuracy and reliability but I just find now the under lever and side lever springers I have get left in the cabinet. I just prefer the ease of loading a break barrel.

Having recently returned to air rifles, & having purchased a hw100kt, i'd like a springer & was thinking about an older supersport like i had back in the 80's, any suggestions ?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Having recently returned to air rifles i'd like a springer & was thinking about an older supersport like i had back in the 80's, any suggestions ?

Rob
    Yep..DON'T !!!

For similar money, a Weihrauch will serve you MUCH better!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Possibly on the likes of the old BSA meteor and the guns alike but myself most of mine have been HW break barrels and I have never had problems with any of them, .
    This ^ ^ ^
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Having started my airgunning life with an air arms s400 and then shortly after buying a tx200hc I decided I wanted an hw100. The two air arms got traded in for the hw and I then added a rapid mk2 to the cupboard. These two are keepers, however, having started shooting again after a few years off I want to add a springer to my cupboard, Again. Now, should one go back down the tx200 route or the weihrauch route? If I go the German way I'd say the 97k would be my preference.

From reading many posts on here over the years I've picked up that air arms out of the box will shoot better however with some fettling the weihrauch will be better. There is the v mach tuning option which should sort out any potentially poorly chopped spring in the German option, although I'm not sure if that is something that is still a problem?

I do love my pcp's and wouldn't get rid of them, although I do miss the fun of the springer, when you hit the target it is more rewarding. I completely failed on an hft course with a springer which is something I want to practice and hopefully on a future springer course actually do well with!

Any thoughts, comments or input are gratefully received

Great to hear that you're thinking of another springer.

It really is down to personal preference once you are considering these "high-end" springers. So consider size, weight, balance etc.

Cropped springs in new Weihrauchs seem to be a thing of the past and I have recently had a go with one or two new 97s that shot twang-free and very nicely out of the box. So, I assume, better guide to spring fit.

Having said that, I would agree that, generally, the TX is sweeter out of the box, although some don't seem keen on the later versions with the longer stroke.

Also consider the HW 98 and 95 and Walther LGV break barrels.

And the Walther LGU as another underlever option.

Try and handle / try as many as you can to see which suits you best. All of the above will "do the business".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Possibly on the likes of the old BSA meteor and the guns alike but myself most of mine have been HW break barrels and I have never had problems with any of them, Saying that my old hw77k in 177 I can say is the best Spring gun I have ever had for accuracy and reliability but I just find now the under lever and side lever springers I have get left in the cabinet. I just prefer the ease of loading a break barrel.
    I've not seen it happen with a Meteor- I've seen them pointing upp'ards as the trigger had been pulled whilst cocked!! I bought four ex Boy Scout Meteor Cadets, Of the four, Two cylinders were scrap due to this (yokes bent up), Managed to make two good ones though!!

The HW35e with the 22" barrels suffered with a condition known as 'Weihrauch droop'!! as they were mild steel and bloke with big muscly arms tended to be a bit enthusiastic when pulling the barrel down!!

I had a 35 that was like it when I bought it! The rear scope mount was packed but it still fired 8" low at 25yds I put two lengths of 2" angle iron in the vice then three blocks of wood (Could have done with three arms!), I found I had to wind the vice until the barrel went past straight as it sprung back!!

It was fine ending up and the shadow when I looked down the bore had gone

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thankfully I have a couple of months to get the funds together for the new purchase, I'm definitely leaning towards the 97k, possibly the blue laminate me thinks.

The new air arms seem to be getting a good few negative comments, the last time I was looking for a springer which is a good four years ago it was the weihrauchs getting the negative comments with people saying that they would either need the spring heating with a blow torch and the chopped end flattening off or a new spring before you'd even fired a shot and the air arms were fine out the box, now it definitely seems to be the other way around, I hope air arms sort this out as they are a lovely rifle in my experience. I have always wanted a 97

If you have always wanted a 97, go for it.

If you get anything else, the yearning for a 97 will not go away until you have one.

It will be very accurate out of the box. And the firing cycle may or may not be as refined as a TX out of the box. If it is, great. If not, as you have mentioned above, a drop-in kit will transform it.

Personally, if starting out, I would choose a 97 over the TX. That's just me. Well, and a fair few others. But the TX has as many fans.

As I have so many HWs, I recently bought a TX to add to the collection. I was going to go for a new, full length one, but my friendly, local RFD had a nearly new TX HC in Walnut. Once I started to spend some quality time with it, it really started to shine. It went from "not sure if I like it or not" to admiration to "wow, I actually really, really like it now".

You're looking at two very high quality, top performing springers at the top of the tree here. It really, really is down to personal preference, but if you have the 97 itch, you're going to have to scratch it!!

Unless, of course, you're happy to get TX now and then satisfy your urge later....if funds allow, you'll have both, then!!!!!

P.S. Air Arms really do not have anything to sort out on the TX. Okay, some of the highly fettled ones are even nicer. And many do prefer the earlier, shorter stroke guns. But there's nothing wrong with the long stroke gun and some actually prefer it.
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-08-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cropped springs in new Weihrauchs seem to be a thing of the past
    I'd agree. I've seen the innards of four new HWs in the past 18 months and the springs were fine...

With a certain amount of fear I ask, what is the difference in a practical sense of a long and short stroke and what difference does it make? Is it essentially the time it takes the pellet to leave the barrel due to a difference internally with the piston?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    With a certain amount of fear I ask, what is the difference in a practical sense of a long and short stroke and what difference does it make? Is it essentially the time it takes the pellet to leave the barrel due to a difference internally with the piston?
    Short stroking basics.

Many guns have a stroke/swept volume designed to run at higher than uk power levels. To counter this, manufacturers put in a weaker spring. The result of that is a slow moving piston travelling a long way. Oops! Hold sensitivity ahoy!

Reducing the stroke of the piston also reduces the swept volume and therefore power potential. Reduce it enough and you can run the piston at full speed while staying legal. The result is a piston travelling faster over a shorter distance. Yay! Reduced hold sensitivity!
    God rest ye jelly mental men