Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASC, What Is Going On?

BASC, What Is Going On?

Hi,

I post this here as it relates to a lot more of us. I read that there were some " changes " at BASC brought about by some " inetrnal problems ".
    Is it still a viable organisation so far as the protection of the rights of the airgun community and shooting in general is concerned? I joined them last year as I wanted to go for my FAC and thought this and having been a full member of a pistol and rifle club might help, I have since changed my mind.
    I am not sure what is going on with them now. Does anyone know please?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Hi,

I post this here as it relates to a lot more of us. I read that there were some " changes " at BASC brought about by some " inetrnal problems ".
    Is it still a viable organisation so far as the protection of the rights of the airgun community and shooting in general is concerned? I joined them last year as I wanted to go for my FAC and thought this and having been a full member of a pistol and rifle club might help, I have since changed my mind.

A.G
    This is worrying to hear. I see there are no Council minutes posted here for 2016 although there are minutes for every month going back to 2004.

https://basc.org.uk/about-basc/basc-...uncil-minutes/

But on a positive note, BASC has been active in press matters, not that many of them relate to airguns:

https://basc.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/

There is this too, about the chairman's replacement:

https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-relea...c-statement-2/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Glad I saw this thread, I was just thinking about joining! Maybe I'll wait a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Northj View Post
    Glad I saw this thread, I was just thinking about joining! Maybe I'll wait a bit!
    I was as well for the insurance - think I'll hold off too.

EDIT: Found this after a short search. I believe it is from a council member of BASC

"There are issues relating to staffing at BASC and to protect peoples rights we re unable to say any more at this time.

Uninformed speculation risks damaging shooting .

BASC will make a further statement once proper process has been followed and completed"
    Last edited by Rossi2k; 27-08-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Found further info on subject

I think that someone from BASC has to make the matters clear as to what is going on. All I am interested in is whether they are still in a strong position to protect the shooting community against the constant onslaught of the media and the antis.
    Regretably headlines like this, from 1st June 2016, do not help. I hope that they can sort themselves out and get back to normal soon.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...-club-11413156

A.G

Hi,

A.G
    I think that someone from BASC has to make the matters clear as to what is going on. All I am interested in is whether they are still in a strong position to protect the shooting community against the constant onslaught of the media and the antis.
    Regretably headlines like this, from 1st June 2016, do not help. I hope that they can sort themselves out and get back to normal soon.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...-club-11413156

A.G

Looks like you've answered your own question in posting that article.

I've never had much faith in them - ever since their weak response to the proposed (and subsequently imposed) limitation of magazine capacities following the Hungerford massacre - and this debacle, as reported, doesn't inspire any confidence, to say the least.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

They may have some internal arguments but it's still the the best for insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    I guess that in itself debatable, but nevertheless, a goodly portion of their high fees supposedly goes towards the protection of shooter's interests - something that is unlikely to be happening under present circumstances.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

secretagentmole Guest
    To all those who want a decent organisation who is politically active North and South of the border, with superb insurance cover, superb legal cover and help (useful when applying for FACs) and a very friendly team, join SACS instead.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/

No discount for airgun membership admittedly, but there again, you will not be limited to just owning airguns if you join, you will be covered for legal powder burning shooting when you get your license too! SACS, you know it makes sense!

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    To all those who want a decent organisation who is politically active North and South of the border, with superb insurance cover, superb legal cover and help (useful when applying for FACs) and a very friendly team, join SACS instead.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/

No discount for airgun membership admittedly, but there again, you will not be limited to just owning airguns if you join, you will be covered for legal powder burning shooting when you get your license too! SACS, you know it makes sense!
    Discounted rate of £27 for seniors November renewal date, worth waiting and then join Sacs !
    Last edited by gordon; 28-08-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Sacs

Join SACS.
    Developing & Expanding Organisation. Excellent insurance cover for almost all country pursuits.
    No super shiny paper mag (costing a fortune) but bulletins are published. So cheaper annual subs.

Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

This article was in the Guardian today about BASC and their woes although what the real problem is has been not revealed:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bby-infighting

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    I disagree NRA and SACS are imo -
    And they don't pussy foot around either unlike BASC they insist Police stick to the law not invent their own ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    This article was in the Guardian today about BASC and their woes although what the real problem is has been not revealed:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bby-infighting
    What a bloody disaster. GCN must be loving this.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

"According to documents sent to the league against cruel sports & the guardian"

Well those will be fair & balanced then