Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess I won't be getting back into club shooting yet then.

I guess I won't be getting back into club shooting yet then.

A few years ago I left the airgun club I had been a member of for some years, shortly after, I left airgunning as a regular hobby too. Not through lack of want, but because my family was growing and I had choices to make. A couple of years ago, my local club closed too, and as it was the only one within 20-25 miles of me, I thought that was pretty much it.

So, imagine how happy I was to hear a NEW up and coming club was opening just a few miles from home! Today was the opening day, so I got out my gun, picked up my bottles and pellets, and headed over there.

Now imagine this, as you approach the range, you have a young lad with his parent, the lad is loading his gun and consistently closes the barrel sideways so it is pointing along the range. Another chap is merrily holding his gun on his shoulder, finger on the trigger. Another is holding his by the scope, breech closed.

Now I'm not a busybody, I was heavily involved in club shooting, national competitions, am an NSRA instructor, and have been a CPSA RSO. But it doesn't take a genius to work out what was wrong today. Except maybe it does, the guy running the range couldn't see what was wrong, and when I asked the parent not to let their young son point his gun in my direction, they just snorted and said "We're not children, and it isn't loaded anyway."

I don't think I'll be going back any time soon, I have never been afraid of beeing at a range before, yet today I was at times, terrified.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

Shame that a place you thought you could use turns out not to be safe. If the guy running the place could not see what was wrong, it would not be a place that I would want to go and visit any time soon. Better to be safe than sorry.

I just hope that this range is not in the news soon with a report of someone nearly getting hurt. Or worse....

In your shoes I'd be writing a letter to the management pointing out your concerns and emphasising you're not harping on for the sake of it but bringing it to their attention and they get the benefit of your experience and qualifications for free.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Would it not be better to join this club or offer your assistance and start making changes and help them become a safe club?
    Your right in what your saying but I think it would be better to influence changes and culture in this new and developing club.

Sometimes we all need pointing in th right direction.

Just a thought!
    J
    (NRA qualified RCO)
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

You could add to your letter, you are looking to join a club and to contribute as well as to be on the receiving end as a member, and if they'd have you then you'd offer to join this club, but only after these obstacles had been resolved, or at least they were on course to get them sorted.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I spoke to the RSO, owner, and landowner, all were of a laissez faire attitude. This isn't a club I want to be associated with at all, having worked hard for 20 years to improve the lives of youth in my area, and been at the heart of most clubs and organisations I've been involved with, nothing has ever left such a feeling of impending doom with me before.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

When something goes wrong, they'll realise you were right
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Unfortunately until then, I'm just the arsehole, a killjoy and an unwanted opinion.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Hi,

Can you clear your mailbox so I can send a PM please?

Jerry

I truly hope no one is hurt, any one of the issues you've mentioned in the op would be enough for a stern talking too where I shoot. If that didn't work it would be removal from the club!!
    HW100 .177, GINB FT#7, Viper 10x44, Rowan Stripper / Milbro Huggett
    Rapid MK2 .177, Mamba Lite 3-12x44, Weihrauch Mod, Pulsar Challenger GS 1x20, N1000AP -
    http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._173646-1.jpg/

Hiya Colin-great to see you back on here mate-hope all is well with you and yours
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Years ago I was a member of the pontifract air gun club, one day there was only 3 of us on the plinking range, the other 2 were talking as I was shooting, after some time I looked over to where they were, I made my gun safe and walked in to the middle of the range and just stood there, after 10 minuets they asked why I was stood in the middle of the range, I just said "at this moment its the safest place, look where your gun is pointing!" He looked at the muzzle of his gun then followed the line to where the bean bag I was sitting, with a start he realised that his gun was pointing right where my head was when I was sitting down, he then swung the gun round to where I was standing on the range! I said your pointing that gun at me again, he said don't worry it's not loaded, I yelled, how the hell do I know that! You should always treat guns as if they are loaded and point them in a safe direction! Needless to say they both looked extreamly imbarrised. Both of them discribed themselves as 'experienced shooters'
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

And if these are the actions of "experienced" shooters.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Hi,

Can you clear your mailbox so I can send a PM please?

Done. :-)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Hiya Colin-great to see you back on here mate-hope all is well with you and yours
    I never left buddy, just didn't have much to say for 3 years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")