Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slack Breech on Mk2 Meteor

Slack Breech on Mk2 Meteor

Hi
    I have a Mk2 meteor with a slack breech that no matter what I do it keeps on eventually working loose. Has anyone ever changed the Breech pin for something like this (see image link below)with any success. I thought of countersinking both sides of the air chamber to accept the bolt and nut, rounding off the nut for an interference fit into the chamber. Then locking in place with threadlock

1/4" UNF Hi-Lok Bolts Titanium Alloy Length 1 1/16"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I have heard from various sources that the meteor breech jaws are hollow, so suggest not drilling them.

No reason however not to have a nice round head bolt/nut in place of the pin though; won't look quite as neat, but then you won't wreck the gun

post 22 on this thread:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....wer-BSA-meteor

(have heard this elsewhere too, and in other articles about their construction)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

OH Dear that puts a spanner in the works then LOl

Thanks for the info Jon guess I will have to re-think and perhaps do as you suggest

shelly

I had to replace a cylinder on a meteor once due to it having deep scores inside it.

I drilled the breech jaws to find out, on that one....It was hollow, so!?

Cheers

I may be misunderstanding the problem but why not turn up a slightly larger diameter bolt to take up the play. You could keep the same thread diameter. For example I can get various diameter barrel bolts for my Walther LG55 T to make it a tighter fit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've noticed that many meteors have undersized breech hinge bolts, measuring around 6,25-6,3mm's instead of the required 6,35mm.

My solution has been to use cut down supersport bolts, close the jaws with a careful squeeze in a vise, and be careful not to introduce any sideways force when cocking.

A friend who's a machinist for an aerospace sub contractor line reamed the breech jaws and block,then span up an oversize interference fit pin.

When he'd finished the assembled gun took some time to free off,for a while it hurt my left hand opening the barrel to cock the gun

He owed me a favour,I wouldn't want to pay for the process, considering the low value of a Meteor

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    My first rifle was a Meteor, once it got worn out (after about 2 years) I used to squeeze the barrel jaws in a vice about once a fortnight. I fired an unholy amount of pellets through it. Despite being well knackered it stlll shot very well. Great rifle made of very soft steel indeed.

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I think I may have yo just squeeze the jaws together once in a while as the meteor just isnt worth spending too much time and money on - I just thought my fix would be quick and cheap and easy to do not realising the jaws were hollow

its thanks to this community that I havent destroyed my rifle

anyways heres a pic of her before and after

Before

After

After2

BTW the silencer makes a big difference considering its a springer and I dont shoot it with the clipon mount - thats just there for display
    Last edited by shellymad; 01-09-2016 at 10:53 PM.

That's nice ,what did you refinish the action and stock with?.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    That's nice ,what did you refinish the action and stock with?.
    Hi Piggy

Stock was stained with wilko stainer and finished with Trueoil I did the stippling with a dremil

Barrel was painted flat black with plastikote paint

More pics here if you interested

Thanks,the stippling is a great decorative touch,wish I had the wood working skills needed.

If the rear sight mount on the barrel is anything to go by, your gun is actually a Mk3 1969-73.

I know, I'm a real mine of useless information .

Hi, I'm new around here, hello all!

Been looking for an old springer myself to do up over the winter, and Meteor's seem plentiful and affordable.
    I've been put off by the slack jaw syndrome myself - I had one in my Youth, and that one used to get loose around the jaws too.

However, perhaps it is possible. Maybe even neatly -

e.g. - heres a pic of a (John Bowkett) fettled breech bolt, nicely done but it looks like an early model.

Maybe the earlier models were not folded steel / hollow ?

Didn't Mercury's have a similar (but not so pronounced) susceptibility with the simple breech pin - up until .. (Mk 3? Mk 4?) ?

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Thanks,the stippling is a great decorative touch,wish I had the wood working skills needed.

If the rear sight mount on the barrel is anything to go by, your gun is actually a Mk3 1969-73.

I know, I'm a real mine of useless information .
    Hi

Going by the stock its a super meteor and Has a NE Prefix

according to knibs NE prefix is Meteor MK III + Super Mark II .177 1969 - 1973

So I thought it was a Mk2 Super meteor?

You're quite right of course,I've just had a look at my .177 version .