Thread: Is there a trick to fitting Sheridan sights??

Is there a trick to fitting Sheridan sights??

As title, the type of rearsight with the two small spacer plates between the sight and the barrel. Seems waaay too tight to slide on.

Am I missing a trick here?

Any help most gratefully received!!
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

A reply to my own question but this from an American site;

"If you ever reinstall it is a good idea to stretch it so it isn't so tight. I hit it onto a 90 degree anvil edge till I can snap it onto one side wedge by hand. That is the correct tightness that will not become a separation issue and it stays put.

TimmyMac1"

Makes sense but sounds a but brutal. Any thoughts before I try?
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

The sight base itself is mighty strong and appears to be hardened, so it does take some force to open up the leg dimension. I have used a long tapered punch tapped down each end with the base supported on something like an open vise to let the punch pass through. Timmy Mac has done thousands of these, so he has well calibrated the amount of brutality required, while I'm more inclined to whack on the punch, measure, whack again, etc. It's for sure that the factory configuration is much tighter than necessary to keep the sight from moving.

Don R.

Very helpful Don. Many thanks.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Update

Here's a little bit of info that hopefully will be helpful for someone struggling as I did (and hopefully searcheable!).

I found the size required to make the rearsight fasten on with good grip but not too tight was the size made by pressing an 11.00mm drill shank through the gap by pressing it in a vice.

Remember to protect the sight base by removing the blade element and use cloth or similar (I used lots of masking tape) to protect the finish.

It worked a treat, you'll still have to tap it on but not like stock (I don't think I'd ever get that the go on).

Thanks AG BBS, and good luck. ��

Edit, probably a good idea to increase sizes and end up with the 11.00 as I did, not go straight to that size.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS