Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Box & Newby Questions

Question Black Powder Box & Newby Questions

I'm currently on my 4th visit to my local rifle and pistol club and I hope to get involved in shooting black powder. I already hold a shotgun licence so I could apply for my explosives certificate now although I do not have a black powder/explosives box.

I know the most cost effective way is to build one to the specifications set out, but I fear my attempts would look nothing like what is needed and I would end up burning the thing to hide my shame. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to buying a premade box or suggest any suppliers they have used themselves?

Also do you think it would be a good idea to apply for my explosives certificate now and 'get ahead of the game' so to speak or just do it all as one as a conterminous renewal/application after I have finished my probation? - West Yorks are not known for their speed with applications.

Cheers
    James.

Use Pyrodex then no worries about licence or box.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Use Pyrodex then no worries about licence or box.
    Heard some grumbles down at the club that Pyrodex and other substitutes are not worth it in comparison to BP? I'm guessing this is a bit like asking an air rifle shooter what the best calibre is?

Pyrodex versus BP

I have been using Pyrodex for the last 5 months since joining the local club to shoot Muzzleloading guns.
    There is no difference between them as accuracy goes.
    The guys never new I was using it !!!!
    I am using RS and P
    The RS is easy to clean as is the P. 50 grain measure of RS in. .580 Cal Enfield 2 band Smoothbore and in a 60 Cal Investarm Hawken Smoothbore. 35 grains in my Armi Sport Kentuckian.45 Cal. Smoothbore. All are classified as Shotgun.
    I have just obtained some Swiss to use.
    It's just the purists that frown but take no heed. Works the same but safer to store.
    Expensive to use compared to Kranks Med powder but find that many gunshops carry Pyrodex in stock.

Btw I have an Enfield smoothbore for sale at the moment in sales. !!

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    I have been using Pyrodex for the last 5 months since joining the local club to shoot Muzzleloading guns.
    There is no difference between them as accuracy goes.
    The guys never new I was using it !!!!
    I am using RS and P
    The RS is easy to clean as is the P. 50 grain measure of RS in. .580 Cal Enfield 2 band Smoothbore and in a 60 Cal Investarm Hawken Smoothbore. 35 grains in my Armi Sport Kentuckian.45 Cal. Smoothbore. All are classified as Shotgun.
    I have just obtained some Swiss to use.
    It's just the purists that frown but take no heed. Works the same but safer to store.
    Expensive to use compared to Kranks Med powder but find that many gunshops carry Pyrodex in stock.

Btw I have an Enfield smoothbore for sale at the moment in sales. !!
    I'm fairly local to Kranks so by the sounds they are my best bet for BP at good prices. I had a quick look at the Enfield, very tempting although with it going on a SGC does that not mean you are restricted to shoot shot out of it rather than solid projectiles?

you can shoot round ball out of it whilst you are a probationary member of a club providing they allow you too. Which is how I got started before I had an FAC

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyropredator View Post
    I'm currently on my 4th visit to my local rifle and pistol club and I hope to get involved in shooting black powder. I already hold a shotgun licence so I could apply for my explosives certificate now although I do not have a black powder/explosives box.

I know the most cost effective way is to build one to the specifications set out, but I fear my attempts would look nothing like what is needed and I would end up burning the thing to hide my shame. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to buying a premade box or suggest any suppliers they have used themselves?

Also do you think it would be a good idea to apply for my explosives certificate now and 'get ahead of the game' so to speak or just do it all as one as a conterminous renewal/application after I have finished my probation? - West Yorks are not known for their speed with applications.

Cheers
    James.
    Don't apply for the Explosive Licence until you have storage sorted.

I'm fairly local to Kranks so by the sounds they are my best bet for BP at good prices. I had a quick look at the Enfield, very tempting although with it going on a SGC does that not mean you are restricted to shoot shot out of it rather than solid projectiles?
    You can shoot single solid projectile (ball or bullet) in a smoothie on SGC - there is an exemption for muzzle loaders.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Don't apply for the Explosive Licence until you have storage sorted.
    Any suggestions for where to buy the storage box? As I say I'm not handy enough to knock one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    You can shoot single solid projectile (ball or bullet) in a smoothie on SGC - there is an exemption for muzzle loaders.
    That’s a nice little caveat, you gents now have me looking at smoothbore stuff! Although I think I will wait until I'm a fully-fledged member of the club though as I'm wanting to get into cap and ball pistols specifically.

Box

Peter Starley. Gun dealer sells boxes. For. £70. On Google. Also has a plethora. Of BP goodies also load charts for various disciplines.

http://www.black-powder.co.uk/bp.htm

If you use Pyrodex or some other nitro powder and Not black powder then you don't need the "storage box"!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Cheers
    James.
    It is much cheaper if you can make a box.

You do not have to be handy. Get the dimensions off someone who has a box, or work them out yourself, and the have the wood cut to size at a woodyard.
    All you have to do then is assemble it.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    It is much cheaper if you can make a box.

You do not have to be handy. Get the dimensions off someone who has a box, or work them out yourself, and the have the wood cut to size at a woodyard.
    All you have to do then is assemble it.
    That’s not a bad shout actually, would most woodyards do the routing for the slots of the internal compartments, or just cut the pieces to rough sizes?

The internal slots i see on most boxes put me off trying myself, lack of tools and knowhow doesn’t help.

That’s not a bad shout actually, would most woodyards do the routing for the slots of the internal compartments, or just cut the pieces to rough sizes?

The internal slots i see on most boxes put me off trying myself, lack of tools and knowhow doesn’t help.
    I didn't rout the inside for slots. I used 1/4" ply and made the internal compartments separately and glued them in.

I will do a sketch and take a picture of the inside of my box and e-mail it to you so you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I didn't rout the inside for slots. I used 1/4" ply and made the internal compartments separately and glued them in.

I will do a sketch and take a picture of the inside of my box and e-mail it to you so you know what I mean.
    That’s very kind thank you! I will PM you my email address.

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php