Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Powder Box & Newby Questions

According to MY local gun store, there IS a HO requirement to store ALL propellants to be stored in boxes similar to those used for BP.

Is this yet another case of 'interpretation'?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    According to MY local gun store, there IS a HO requirement to store ALL propellants to be stored in boxes similar to those used for BP.

Is this yet another case of 'interpretation'?

tac
    Hi tac,

This is definitely a grey area as no one seems to know what is correct so I have done a bit of research.

When the legislation to store blackpowder came in to force in April 2005 there was not any mention of having to store smokeless powder in a wooded box.

The term "Shooters Powders" was used by the HSE and police and that implied that it included all powders.

Smoklesss powder is classed as HT3. (Hazard type 3), which is a desensitised explosive and does not have to be stored in a wooden box.

AN EXTRACT FROM THE HSE 2005 DOCUMENT:
    Smokeless powder
    As noted above, in the case of HT3 smokeless powder the regulations do not require that the powder is stored in a wooden box. However, storage in a a wooden box (or cupboard or cabinet) is a sensible precaution.
    It is likely that smokeless powder will continue to be sold in 1 kg plastic containers for the foreseeable future. These powders present a much lower hazard than black
    powder. HSE has asked the Health and Safety Laboratory to carry out tests on
    smokeless powder stored in these containers. Subject to the results of these tests, HSE believes that storage in 1kg plastic containers should be regarded as acceptable.

Sincerely
    (\^^^\^
    Andy Miller
    Head of Mines Quarries and Explosives

The Explosive Regulations 2014:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1638/made

If you look at paragrapgh 27 (2) (a) it refers to desensitised explosives (HT3).

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Hi tac, This is definitely a grey area as no one seems to know what is correct so I have done a bit of research. etc.
    This is a VERY useful post, and I'm grateful for you having posted it - many thanks indeed. [lots of smiley emoticons]

tac