Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring-clip Webley Mark 1 pistol question

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Thanks Chris and vintagewebleyman for the serial number information. My serial number list now stands as follows:

Single clip model: 27

Double clip model:

If anyone can provide any additional authenticated numbers I would be very grateful.

Undoubtedly the single-clip model is the rarest of the Webley Mark 1 pistols, and the double clip version comes a close second.

Hello,

John Griffiths highly regarded 'Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols' states that Ser No 131 is a single clip and that the following additional double clip examples have been seen:

241, 472, 578 & 690.

Regards

Brian

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

John Griffiths highly regarded 'Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols' states that Ser No 131 is a single clip and that the following additional double clip examples have been seen:

241, 472, 578 & 690.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks Brian. How embarassing! I really should read my own book some time. Yes, I have gone back and checked my old files and these numbers do need to be added to the list.

The single clip pistol with serial number 131 is something of an anomaly. I have a vague recollection that several years ago an apparent single spring clip pistol sold for a considerable sum, and it was eventually shown to be a fake. Someone had removed one of the clips from a double clip pistol, plugged the hole, ground it flat very carefully and refinished the gun so that the plug was invisible to all but the closest of inspections. I have no idea what became of the gun, or who the individuals involved were. Does anyone else recall this incident ? Could this have been the gun with the serial number 131?

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Thanks Brian. How embarassing! I really should read my own book some time. Yes, I have gone back and checked my old files and these numbers do need to be added to the list.

The single clip pistol with serial number 131 is something of an anomaly. I have a vague recollection that several years ago an apparent single spring clip pistol sold for a considerable sum, and it was eventually shown to be a fake. Someone had removed one of the clips from a double clip pistol, plugged the hole, ground it flat very carefully and refinished the gun so that the plug was invisible to all but the closest of inspections. I have no idea what became of the gun, or who the individuals involved were. Does anyone else recall this incident ? Could this have been the gun with the serial number 131?

Regards,
    John
    Hello John,

I hadn't realised that I was quoting from a reference book written by yourself.

I certainly can't rely on my own memory these days, and have referred to your excellent publication many times to refresh my ageing brain cells.

I do however remember reading somewhere about the modified double clip Mk1, but it would be great if it could tracked down and positively identified.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 08-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.