Thread: Airgun laws on the Isle of Man

636 Guest

Airgun laws on the Isle of Man

I'm moving to the Isle of Man very soon and have been searching for airgun laws for over there but can't really find anything of much help. Does anyone know if they are any different than mainland UK laws or is there any changes i should know about, this is for non fac.

Thanks in advance Kev

Yes
    You need a 'Permit' for an air rifle and I also think it has to be kept secure.
    Draftsman will correct me if I am wrong.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

636 Guest
    Thanks for the reply, is it easy enough to get a permit, and by secure do you mean gun cabinet or will a locked hard case be enough ?

To get up to date info I suggest Manx Police or find a Manx Gun club websight.
    www.isleofmanshooting.com
    Also NSRA at Lord Roberts House, Bisley may have details.
    Graham
    Last edited by manxteddy; 18-08-2005 at 01:34 PM.
    Designer of BASC Logo

draftsmann Guest
    You need to apply to the Isle of Man police for a "Regulated Weapon Certificate". This covers air weapons up to 6/12 ft lb (for pistols and long rifles respectively, as in Great Britain), as well as shotguns and crossbows.

The Regulated Weapon Certificate is broadly similar to a GB shotgun certificate. It permits you to acquire and possess as many regulated weapons as you choose, and has a 10-year duration. You must keep self-certified records of regulated weapons that you acquire and possess. You must also provide secure storage for regulated weapons AND their ammunition - including of course air rifle pellets. For all practical purposes, this means proper gun/ammunition safes. You will also find, if you go to buy pellets from a gun shop on the Island, that you'll need to produce your certificate in order to do so.

I hope that helps.

Adrian

636 Guest
    Right guys, i've now made to the island and got myself straightened out.

I just need a bit of advice if anyone could help, can you tell me where the air rifles clubs are i'm having a hard time tracking them down.

Thanks in advance
    Kev

What would you need to do to get a handgun/rifle as well?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann
    You need to apply to the Isle of Man police for a "Regulated Weapon Certificate". This covers air weapons up to 6/12 ft lb (for pistols and long rifles respectively, as in Great Britain), as well as shotguns and crossbows.

The Regulated Weapon Certificate is broadly similar to a GB shotgun certificate. It permits you to acquire and possess as many regulated weapons as you choose, and has a 10-year duration. You must keep self-certified records of regulated weapons that you acquire and possess. You must also provide secure storage for regulated weapons AND their ammunition - including of course air rifle pellets. For all practical purposes, this means proper gun/ammunition safes. You will also find, if you go to buy pellets from a gun shop on the Island, that you'll need to produce your certificate in order to do so.

I hope that helps.

Adrian
    I guess we're not far behind the IoM.

Some loony MP will get a feather in his cap for proposing that in the HoC's

Ray