Thread: Dating my Longbow

Dating my Longbow

I'm trying to work out how old my Longbow is but I'm having no luck with an internet search.
    Does anyone have a rough idea of manufacture date from the serial number?
    It's; 920233.
    Many thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have any exact Longbow records, but going by serial numbers used on other rifles of the period, I would estimate 2003/4.
    Latterly, Webley didn't usually use dedicated serial numbers for each model, just carried on with the same series of numbers from model to model.
    Someone may be able to give a more precise date if they have the receipt for a rifle with the same series numbers.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Dating your longbow...

...I can see the attraction, but stick to women
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    ...I can see the attraction, but stick to women
    Cheap date though... They don't eat or drink much. Aaaaannnnddd they won't suddenly go in a mood for no apparent reason.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    They only made them for about 5 years IIRC.

Or was it longer?
    Master Debater

Thanks for your help. So I'm thinking it's going to be around 15 to 20 years old then?
    I suppose I asked for that one Jon .

2002-2005 for proper Birmingham Webley ones.

2006ish for Turkish-assembled ones using up old Webley parts. Then a few years of Turkish production, mostly as the SE model with a thumbhole stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    2002-2005 for proper Birmingham Webley ones.

2006ish for Turkish-assembled ones using up old Webley parts. Then a few years of Turkish production, mostly as the SE model with a thumbhole stock.
    Thanks. So I think I can narrow it down to between 2000 ans 2005. I don't know why I thought they were in production earlier that, perhaps it's because they have the look of an earlier rifle?

Bit more information I've managed to glean from the records:
    Production started at serial number 906200 in October 2002 and finished in December 2005, but I can't find a final serial number.
    The Turkish Longbow commenced production in August 2006, no serial number given.
    I bought a brand new .177 Longbow, serial number 925693, from Uttings in February 2006.

Longbow

Webley were still advertising them in August 2007 in Airgunner magazine. The rifle pictured was what I'd refer to as a 'transitional' model as it has Birmingham made parts and the walnut stock which featured on the 'proper' Brum made and built guns. The only difference I've found with these is the finish of the action which is very poor and the pistons which are even rougher and I'd say are not a Brum made part which has been poorly finished but rather Turkish made. The serial numbers and name on the rear of the cylinder are very lightly etched.
    I'm sure a few shops will have had original Birmingham stock on the shelves for a few years after Webley closed in early 2005 so time of purchase from anywhere other than Webley or Webley Venom directly towards the very end can't really give an accurate idea of what the final serial numbers were.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.