Thread: Baikal Makarov Questions Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchermiss View Post
    I have a Baikal Makarov, all steel bought in around 94. Very well made and never been fired. From what I have seen it is much better than later models and must be Generation 1. Clearly is the converted 9mm.
    Another internet myth I'm afraid. Granted they are very well made, they are not however 'converted' from the RS

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Another internet myth I'm afraid. Granted they are very well made, they are not however 'converted' from the RS
    Depends on your definition of converted, it's certainly my belief that the major components of the real steel PMM double stack models were converted for use in the generation 1 CO2 version.... I.e. the slide, the frame, trigger guard & grips - obviously the barrel, valve/magazine assembly and triggers are new parts.
    My gen 1 slide for example still has the extractor claw slot machined in - and it's evident from the milling inside it was a real steel one at one point.
    Is this converted, reworked or adapted?

Later generations I believe then began to use some specifically made parts, but as above I believe the early models were indeed converted.

PS Just noticed on Rusmilitary's website that they write of the gen 4 model they sell : "90% of Baikal's parts are genuine Makarov (PMM) pistol parts" - not sure how accurate that is, but that's what they're claiming.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 01-01-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    That's quite reassuring to know. In that case those Baikal Makarov air pistols must be the most solidly built air pistol of all time? I'll be holding on to my 1999 version for a while yet.

garym is offline Outruns Death in his slippers
    I am hanging onto my T99 boxed Makerov also