Thread: BSA mainseal o ring to cylinder ,how tight fit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA mainseal o ring to cylinder ,how tight fit

When fitting a replacement o ring to a piston head how tight in the 28 mm cylinder should it be.
    Been sent a couple to try one seems very tight and the other pushed in with little effort at all.

Now I appreciate the cylinders vary I hear , and it's difficult to advise on how much effort to fit right and seal correctly .
    But I'm guessing as these arnt parachute seals that will expand lip under forward pressure so I'm thinking it needs to be tighter requiring a fair bit of pressure by hand to push in and down cylinder ?.

Appreciate some advice please .

Thanks

just my opinion / experience ... you do not want the O ring to be a firm, hard to push in type of fit but neither should it be too loose. I find it is best when you can feel some slight resistance. The O ring can then move back against the groove on firing to form a very good seal.
    I have recollections that I once used a Meteor ring in an Airsporter that seemed to have a tight cylinder when fitted with the standard O ring and it worked well ... although my memory may be wrong and I might have found a ring that was just a tad smaller than the original Airsporter. The Airsporter is usually 1 1/8" od, the Meteor 1".
    Cheers, Phil

O ring

Thank you Phil.
    I will go with that and pop in the old chaps n raid his o rings and try a few see which feels best .
    The o.m old seal was a little thicker than the ones sent me .
    Thanks again

I automatically fit a smaller cross section O ring to BSA piston seals, the original is way too thick. After about a million shots & thirty years it will be worn down to a D section & be working alright, then the buffer washer collapses...
    I forget the exact numbers, but basically if BSA supply an 1/8" section O ring, fit one about 3/32". You want it to be a snug sliding fit, not a tight one. Very little resistance to sliding down the piston but not actualy dropping under it's own weight.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    as both the above chaps have said.. the std BSA item is way too tight. At most, a firm push with one finger should allow the piston to move. Ideally, just a gentle push...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Size

The size given above and finger pressure advice are excellent thank you.
    I've borrowed a few big boxes of o rings to go through tomorrow.
    Will certainly try to find the size mentioned and much appreciate your help.
    Cheers gents

O ring

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    I automatically fit a smaller cross section O ring to BSA piston seals, the original is way too thick. After about a million shots & thirty years it will be worn down to a D section & be working alright, then the buffer washer collapses...
    I forget the exact numbers, but basically if BSA supply an 1/8" section O ring, fit one about 3/32". You want it to be a snug sliding fit, not a tight one. Very little resistance to sliding down the piston but not actualy dropping under it's own weight.

I've had a few dozen shots with it ,and a few dozen more over the crono.
    With a rws superdome 14.5 g I haven't got 3 foot pounds .it's making 2,65 to 2,89 ft lbs using a standard bsa scorpion main spring and the o ring size I could find close was a 3/53" I noted you suggested 3/32" whilst the piston didn't feel tight being 're fitted would the differance in size from suggested make such a differance.
    Transfer seal is 100% sealing

It shoots very nicely no vibration or twang but I'm concerned as its so low knowing the volume .

Further advice appreciated please gents
    Last edited by original45; 23-09-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    add a little preload to the spring and see if it gets better or worse. that will tell you a lot...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    I've had a few dozen shots with it ,and a few dozen more over the crono.
    With a rws superdome 14.5 g I haven't got 3 foot pounds .it's making 2,65 to 2,89 ft lbs using a standard bsa scorpion main spring and the o ring size I could find close was a 3/53" I noted you suggested 3/32" whilst the piston didn't feel tight being 're fitted would the differance in size from suggested make such a differance.
    Transfer seal is 100% sealing

It shoots very nicely no vibration or twang but I'm concerned as its so low knowing the volume .

Further advice appreciated please gents
    I've noticed from this post you say a "bsa scorpion" spring which is a pistol spring, in a 28mm cylinder which is the same diameter as the Airsporter, mercury & lightning/supersport which are rifles so that may be part of the reason for the low power.
    Regards Graham