Thread: First PCP Target Pistol - Choices

First PCP Target Pistol - Choices

As a first step into single shot PCP Target pistols, and hoping not to break the bank, wondered what might be available in the region of £600 new or used (bit more when justified).

I have looked at the Rohm twinmaster Match and Sport (single shot) but read about issues with springs and not sure the trigger is up there.

The Tau 8 looks interesting but cannot find any reviews on it.

The budget end SMK model does not do it for me; no anatomical grip and I understand no elevation adjustment even on the latest model. Assume other sights can be fitted, and a grip when they become available.

Guessing the cost of a good used higher end pistol might start a few hundred pounds more depending on its age and specification (e.g. Walther, Steyr)?

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Still no joy with the Tau 7 then?
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
    Still no joy with the Tau 7 then?
    It is working fine at the moment, just keeping my options open for future projects; I like to try things out.

Why not

Look for something with a bit more quality.

Used Morini 162. Steyr LP2 are within your budget.

Maybe for about £100 more an older Steyr LP10.

If you watch the for sale pages on this BBS you will find good PCP target pistols for as little as £450. I personally would not buy a Rohm although their top model isn't too bad.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I was in the same boat a few months back. They is a review of the Tau MK8 on you tube and if you look really hard some info about some eastern euro junior champion shooting one. You'd of thought the importer would have done something or is that just me !. As for the Rohm its not a match pistol so look else were. Morini's, FWB's and the like do come up on here,BUT YOU HAVE TO BE QUICK. My advice would be have an idea of which one suits you check on here very often.
    You may have to buy something with a grip that does not suit your hand but the are plenty second hand one kicking around. The cylinder will be out of date which only matters at bigger competitions, shooting at you club or postal comp's it's fine. And be patient, one will come up, well probably three in a week.

Some good points there, thanks to all. I shall have to bump up on the makes/models mentioned and keep an eye on expected asking price in readiness for when one comes up.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Some good points there, thanks to all. I shall have to bump up on the makes/models mentioned and keep an eye on expected asking price in readiness for when one comes up.
    The Steyrs are in a different league for Rohm Twinmasters. Good luck keeping an eye out.

Tau 7 is better than Tau 8.
    The Tau 8 is Tau's first attempt of a PCP pistol. It has several flaws, as had its mk300
    I have 1, both the mk8 and mk300.
    Without even shooting > 50 shots, the mk300 has seals changed because they were damaged.
    Probably damaged from factory because of their finish
    The mk8 probably has the same issue. Hadnt sent that 1 back to Tau though.
    The mk8 ónly shoots well with 1 pellet
    Also, I had to up the front sight, cause it shot way to high
    Availability of all grip sizes and finishes is limited.
    They're heavy too, in standard version.
    They loose air when the cilinder is left attached.(even when not attached but much slower)
    They do let you feel the air blow away on yr hand. Still not sure wether thats the airstripper (which is large) or some pelletprobe leak.

That said, they're awesome to shoot, very recoilless. Trigger feels almost like an E trigger. Very clinical.

I've had it a few years now, maybe the recent one's have all this fixed and updated.
    But the Tau 7 has been made for about 40 yrs now.

Other starter pcp's:
    Alfa Proj/AA: dont do it only good in co2 trim
    Aeron Spider : mine has been back to factory under guarantee twíce although very nice pistols to shoot.

So if yr considering pcp, buy a sechand steyr/walther/fwb/morini and have that serviced. Best buy
    Love my morini 162E
    ATB,
    yana

Morini 162e for sale in sales
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....get-Pistol-177
    £450 I would be all over this but I have just bought a Steyr LP 1
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at