Thread: Firing and using Obsolete Cal smoothbore

Firing and using Obsolete Cal smoothbore

If you buy an obsolete Cal Musket say good condition Brown Bess how do you get it on your Sec 2 ??
    Last edited by series2a; 17-09-2016 at 06:34 PM.

smooth

even if its smooth bore and you intend to fire solid shot it should go on your firearms ticket,
    if you intend to use it as a shot gun, then section 2,
    be very careful with an original brown bess, very light loads,
    THANKS,T,

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    even if its smooth bore and you intend to fire solid shot it should go on your firearms ticket,
    if you intend to use it as a shot gun, then section 2,
    be very careful with an original brown bess, very light loads,
    THANKS,T,
    There is a special dispensation in the Firearms Act that allow muzzleloaders using smoothbore antiques to be fired with a ball and have them on a SGC. Only if an antique is rifled does it need to be on an FAC.

You are right about being careful with an antique. I know a couple of people that shoot orginial Brown Bess muskets and they worked the load up rather than risk just stoking it up with a big charge.

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    If you buy an obsolete Cal Musket say good condition Black Bess how do you get it on your Sec 2 ??
    As far as I am aware you can write it on your SGC and send it in to the police with a covering letter stating that it is an antique and that you now intend to use it for target shooting on approved ranges.

Some FEO's will tell you that once it is on the certificate it cannot be taken off. That is not true. If you decide not to use it you can take it off the SGC and hang it on the wall.
    From what I have heard a lot of people put an antique in their license, use it a few times and then take it off. This creates a lot of paperwork which they would like to avoid.

I put a 12.7x44R Swedish rolling block on my ticket many years ago,
    I am thinking of taking it off and hanging it on the wall as I do not shoot it now,
    will I be able to do a one for one and get another cal on my ticket instead of the 12.7,
    thanks,T

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    As far as I am aware you can write it on your SGC and send it in to the police with a covering letter stating that it is an antique and that you now intend to use it for target shooting on approved ranges.

Some FEO's will tell you that once it is on the certificate it cannot be taken off. That is not true. If you decide not to use it you can take it off the SGC and hang it on the wall.
    From what I have heard a lot of people put an antique in their license, use it a few times and then take it off. This creates a lot of paperwork which they would like to avoid.
    Just the answer I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    I put a 12.7x44R Swedish rolling block on my ticket many years ago,
    I am thinking of taking it off and hanging it on the wall as I do not shoot it now,
    will I be able to do a one for one and get another cal on my ticket instead of the 12.7,
    thanks,T
    I think it would be treated the same as selling a rifle where you can have the slot put back for a different calibre.

I would send a letter telling them you want it removed from your FAC and replaced with ***calibre.

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    If you buy an obsolete Cal Musket say good condition Black Bess how do you get it on your Sec 2 ??
    'Black Bess' was the horse of highwayman Dick Turpin. Thankfully, you won't have to put it on any kind of license/certificate. A 'Brown Bess', on the other tentacle, is a horse of a different colour.

tac

Sent from my Marionberry

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    'Black Bess' was the horse of highwayman Dick Turpin. Thankfully, you won't have to put it on any kind of license/certificate. A 'Brown Bess', on the other tentacle, is a horse of a different colour.

tac

Sent from my Marionberry
    Auto correct strikes again 😎😎😎