Thread: What factory springer is the most likely to hold its value and what would not

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

What factory springer is the most likely to hold its value and what would not

I guess the TX

I have not sold any guns for about 15 years so have no idea

Most bought wisely secondhand Yes the TX is a pretty good bet, they seem to hold there value pretty well from new. Although even they loose a good chunk off there new price.

Hold,
    Original Webley Longbow,

Not,
    Turkish wibley Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Most bought wisely secondhand
    This. Applies to almost any guns but the decent ones you can guarantee an eventual maintenance of relative value... bought my mint walnut TXSR for £220, with case and scope... I think I'd do better than that nowadays... not really making money but relatively keeping value.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

If you want to play this game (I never have), the knack is to buy something good the moment it is discontinued - and usually discounted as a result.

People have done well who bought Webley Omegas, Longbows, Tomahawks just after they stopped making them.

Ditto the AA Pro Elite. They sold badly when new, but now change hands for nearly the price they would be new if they were still made.

The last proper Birmingham BSAs (eg Superstar, Gold Star, even the Supersport) seem to have risen in value recently.

At a lower level, remember the little Chinese sidelever styled like an AK? They now command a premium over the regular-stocked version, that sold for about the same.

If AA announced they were discontinuing the Pro Sport, or HW the 98 or 97K, I'd raid the piggy bank and buy a few. I guarantee that they would be worth more 5 years later than I had paid for them.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    ^^^^
    A very fair assessment !
    “An airgun or two”………

Another vote for the TX, but over here, the Pro Elite sells, used, for very nearly double the price they sold for new.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I've a suspicion that as an outsider, Stutzen air rifles may hold their value pretty well !
    Certainly the BSA Airsporters and Dianas, even the Gamo seems to command as decent secondhand price !
    “An airgun or two”………

I have a Diana 46 Stutzen in .177.
    VGC with box.
    I have tried to sell it locally for the last two years without any luck!

I mention it because it is the only air rifle I have ever really failed to sell.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I have a Diana 46 Stutzen in .177.
    VGC with box.
    I have tried to sell it locally for the last two years without any luck!

I mention it because it is the only air rifle I have ever really failed to sell.
    Are all S/H DIana's hard to sell in the UK?
    I have heard that the LGV and LGU don't hold their value also.

I've sold many Dianas including a 430 Stutzen which I didn't think was as nice as the 46.
    This one seems determined to stay with me and although I bought it for its looks I rather like shooting it.

I won't sell my LGV Competition Ultra as it is a brilliant shooter.
    I also know that you can now get a new one for what I would take second hand for mine.

But I notice the new ones don't seem to have such nice stocks as mine.

The best investments in the airgun world have been the Whiscombe driven mainly by rarity. They are beautiful rifles incredibly well made and which perform well. Few were made and many found their way to collectors in the USA. The remainder are in the hands of enthusiasts here in the UK. My understanding is that the very last rifles sold by John Whiscombe before he retired cost their owners £1700 each and these days you would expect to pay around three grand for one. If you could find one that is.
    If you were to ask me what is the most likely current air rifle to retain its value I would say anything tuned by Venom (preferably with provenance in the form of paperwork) or V Mach. Personally I would be surprised if any precharged rifle would be sought after in ten years time so I'd personally stick to quality springers in really nice furniture.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.