Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Bore pistol

50 Bore pistol

Hi All I'm new to breach loaders and have a question. I now have a 50 bore percussion pistol supplied with a bag of shot .40" diameter. the bore of the pistol is .48", Am I missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Daveh.
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    40 thou patch?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Sorry please read "muzzle" for breach

Hi Turnup, thanks for the info, its easy when you know how! Regards Daveh

Is it rifled or smooth-bored?

Your answer matters.

A lot.

tac

Smooth bore, Why? Daveh

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    c'mon Tac.....drop the other shoe. In was hoping to learn summat here.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

The load for a smooth-bore pistol differs dramatically from that of a rifled gun.

That's all I'm saying until my question is answered.

Oh, and advising the OP to get ahold of the Lyman BP manual.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 19-09-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Hi Tac , I said smooth a few days ago, Regards Daveh

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi Tac , I said smooth a few days ago, Regards Daveh
    My response was really a resplone to a post asking why I'd made a point of it, not ignoring your post advising us of the kind of pistol it was.

A smooth-bore pistol requires a considerably heavier charge to shoot accurately than a rifled gun - THAT was my point.

A fifty or sixty grain load of FFg in a rifled pistol is going to be lot less fun than the same load in a smooth-bore - maybe you don't mind excessive recoil?

tac

Is it 0.50" bore size or is it a 50 bore ? If it's 50 bore the the ball size is determined by the number of lead balls of bore size in 1 pound of lead ,i.e. if 50 the balls you were supplied with weigh 1 pound then it's 50 bore . It's the same with 12 bore , 16 bore , 20 bore shotguns , also smoothbore but not a .410 " .A .410 actually measures .410 " as it was adopted and made after the old system was superceded .Fun this shooting game innit - eh ?
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    Is it 0.50" bore size or is it a 50 bore ? If it's 50 bore the the ball size is determined by the number of lead balls of bore size in 1 pound of lead ,i.e. if 50 the balls you were supplied with weigh 1 pound then it's 50 bore . It's the same with 12 bore , 16 bore , 20 bore shotguns , also smoothbore but not a .410 " .A .410 actually measures .410 " as it was adopted and made after the old system was superceded .Fun this shooting game innit - eh ?
    Agreed. 'spose I ought to have mentioned it before, but as you note, .50cal is a good deal different than 50 bore. A fifty-BORE designation implies that the gun is pre-1890, when English-made muzzle-loading guns of all kinds were referred to in this manner.

This also needs to be sorted out - are we looking at an original, possibly a martial pistol like a dragoon or sea-service pistol, or has the OP got a modern .50" calibre replication?

Details are very sparse right now.

tac

PS - 50 BORE would shoot a ball of about .415" diameter - a special-order custom mould being required for this unusual diameter.

The pistol has a bore of 0.48"So I assume that the gun is a 50 bore. does anyone have a 0.418 bullet mould. By the way the pistol is inscribed with "Hewson" as the maker, one of my ancestors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards Daveh
    Not a replica but a 1840/50"Travelling Pistol" overall length 11.5" with a 6" Damascus barrel[came boxed with all the other goodies]
    Last edited by daveh; 20-09-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    The pistol has a bore of 0.48"So I assume that the gun is a 50 bore. does anyone have a 0.418 bullet mould. By the way the pistol is inscribed with "Hewson" as the maker, one of my ancestors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards Daveh
    Not a replica but a 1840/50"Travelling Pistol" overall length 11.5" with a 6" Damascus barrel[came boxed with all the other goodies]
    Jeff Tanner will make you a ball mould to any size you want, but according to the usual documentation, a so-called 50 bore pistol would shoot a ball in the region of .415", as I noted.

The following figures might help you decide what it is that you need in terms of ball diameter, allowing for 15 - 18 thou patching, that is - YOU do the math -

.480" bore = 166.54gr ball measuring 42.03 to the pound.

According to the tables, a 50 gauge/bore pistol or long gun shoots a 11.4mm diameter 108gr ball - that's a .46" diameter ball, BTW. Take off 15 - 18 thou for patching leaves you a diameter of 0.424".

Hope this is not unhelpful.

tac

PS - This IS a Section 1 firearm if you are going to shoot it, right?
    Last edited by tacfoley; 20-09-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Hi Tac, thanks for the interest and all the info. Theres no intention to shoot the pistol and theres no approved range close to me. It will be a "wallhanger" Regards Daveh