Thread: Cometa Vice Grip

Cometa Vice Grip

The breech jaws on a recently acquired 400S carbine are rather stiff.

The gun appears to have had little use and sparse lubrication at the factory

Any idea of how long they'll take to free off?.

I assume the jaws are not secured by a bolt? If so, can it be released a tad? Not too much though, the last thing you want is a sloppy lock-up.
    Try a bit of grease?
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil,I think I'll try a little lubrication first.

Someone suggested the breech pivot screws might be fitted by redundant alien power loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Thanks Phil,I think I'll try a little lubrication first.

Someone suggested the breech pivot screws might be fitted by redundant alien power loaders.
    Yeh me, mines with DM80, I couldn't shift the pivot bolt
    I'm looking forward to it coming back fitted with WW tune kit, it looks as though it ought to be a light shooting quick lock time very pleasant rifle .
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

On way back apparently , looking forward to checking it out

The WW kit was a little under power and needed additional work to fit .......

Cometa 400 177 Back

DM80 said he had to do additional work to get WW kit to fit as rifle would not cock originally. Also that had problem getting power up with all spacers.
    I also supplied (now fitted) a Custom Air Seals piston seal

The rifle is doing 10ftlbs, so does seem the kit was under power, probably cut for a 22 -
    It actually shoots light heavy and medium jsb's all within 0.4 ftlb of each other.

The rifle was one of the lowest recoils of a 177 sprier I've shot (ok it is doing 10 at mo, but even so, it has less recoil than my 177 hw85 which has a slightly short v mach spring in to run at 7.5-8.5 for back garden target / plinking)

The Cometa is an absolute delight to shoot

DM80 commented he felt an alternative to WW cut down rear guide may have been better, encapsulate it rather than chop and make an extension to in effect 'short stroke' from rear -

I've been wanted to try out a worked on Cometa 400 for some time, and this confirms my belief that the light piston, with a correct length spring and guide set up will produce an absolutely delightful UK level rifle.