Thread: Webley Senior vs Premier cocking effort.

Webley Senior vs Premier cocking effort.

I know there are loads of Webley fans on this site...so hopefully I'll get an answer. A couple of years back, bought a late Senior pistol. I'll be charitable, it was not really as described. Altho' cosmetically OK, it needed some work, replacing screws etc. Then, after worrying about the cocking effort, found it had a cracked piston, Replaced that, cleaned & tidied the internals, put it away.
    Recently decided to have a play with it, comparing it 'back to back' with my Premier.
    Hmm - the cocking effort still seemed difficult, compared to the later Premier. Felt like it needed 25-30% more force. The Gordon Bruce 'bible' does mention that the 'link fulcrum' on the Premier was higher to provide less cocking effort, is this the cause? I don't have any problems cocking the Premier, or any of my Hurricanes or Tempest.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

It's evolution

the guns get better as they are redesigned.

Both out of the box I would think the improved design smoothened the cocking effort also. in your case the state of the components play part in the cocking effort, like spring tension, inner tube smoothness, cocking link irregularities etc.

Hello,

I would agree that the Premier requires slightly less effort than the Senior, but certainly not in the 20%-30% region.

Both are a dream compared with the single link set-up used on the Mk1.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

I would agree that the Premier requires slightly less effort than the Senior, but certainly not in the 20%-30% region.

Both are a dream compared with the single link set-up used on the Mk1.

Regards

Brian
    I used to think MK1 s were broken.
    But they are all like that Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I used to think MK1 s were broken.
    But they are all like that Sir.
    Iv'e found there to be a definite knack to easily cocking Webley pistols. One confidently executed and more importantly continuous stroke, makes the process relatively effortless.

Even though they quite often seem difficult to cock, it's still a lot easier than say the Haenal 28 or Hyscore.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 18-09-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks for the replies, have had some PC probs recently, hence the delay in my answer/acknowledgement. I'm think I'm used to the 'knack' of cocking Webleys, but thought the effort of the Senior was a bit too much compared to the Premier.
    I'll treat it to another stripdown when I've got some spare time.

Thanks again

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Cool cockers

Have to disagree on the Hy-score Brian -I reckon you can get as good and safe grip on the breech end and the handle-much easier than say,a Webley Mk1,Trev

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Have to disagree on the Hy-score Brian -I reckon you can get as good and safe grip on the breech end and the handle-much easier than say,a Webley Mk1,Trev
    Hello Trev,

I guess it's just another example of acquiring the right knack through more frequent use of the pistol. I don't find the Hyscore particularly hard to cock, just a bit awkward compared with the Webley.

I would say the hardest spring pistol I have ever cocked is Anson's Star and the most time consuming possibly the Hubertus.

Regards

Brian