Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Britannia

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Here are a few more to add to the list; in no particular order:

551 422 2141 1757 3094 1257 749 1798 159 747 944 3379 558 768 2005 1147 1019 982 888 18 59 198 1437

2655 3332 48 1101 1014

I can provide specific info on any if it is important.

In the 'Sporting Guns Review' it was reported that "nearly 4000 Britannias were now in production" - slight paraphrasing but the figure is right.

Probably an over estimate, I would guess much nearer to 3,500 judging by those I have handled?
    Thanks Slug Gun. I agree with your comments over total production and have a copy of the SGR report (May 1908?)you mention.

I'd be interested in cylinder markings and sight type on the low numbers (under 1000) you mention.

Kind regards,

John

Britannia

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Trevor,

The folding peep element on 2771 is certainly unique and the only such sight known to me. Aperture sights were banned under Bisley Service Rifle rules until aperture elements on the rearsight only were permitted in 1908. Most competitors found this gave no advantage at all and the following year, the NRA relented and allowed aperture sights to be used in their natural position immediately in front of the eye. 2771 may well have been commissioned by a Bisley competitor who wanted to keep his eye in with the Britannia!

Thanks for sharing details of 2519, as I did not have that one listed - I'm guessing .177 Britannia rather than Anglo Sure Shot?

Kind regards,

John.
    Hi John

Yes, 2519 is a .177 Britannia, with 'see saw' rear sight.
    Very interested to see your comments regarding the folding aperture on sn2771. Its more unique than useful - with my eyesight anyway.

Regards
    Trevor

Hi John,

Sorry its taken a while to come back to you. Been snowed at work lately. Here are a few quickly taken snaps of the markings on my gun

http://s547.photobucket.com/user/Lak...0Shot%20Mk%201

Regards

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi John,

Sorry its taken a while to come back to you. Been snowed at work lately. Here are a few quickly taken snaps of the markings on my gun

http://s547.photobucket.com/user/Lak...0Shot%20Mk%201

Regards

Lakey
    Thanks Lakey and no problem - I've been busy too! Nice example you have there.

I think Gingernut was right in that a thread like this urges us to shoot these classics, as I resprung and re-breech washered one of mine last night. A BSA Light Pattern spring will result in .177 velocities between 500 and 600 FPS, which is ample and does not place too much strain on the internals.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by trevorj View Post
    Hi John

Yes, 2519 is a .177 Britannia, with 'see saw' rear sight.
    Very interested to see your comments regarding the folding aperture on sn2771. Its more unique than useful - with my eyesight anyway.

Regards
    Trevor
    Hi Trevor,

I have a Jean Marck Target Model with a peep rear rather than aperture sight and agree, it is more unique than handy. It is OK in reasonable light but not so, when light starts to fade. This shortcoming is much more apparent on the peep rearsight than a standard aperture, which can also be difficult to use in poor light.

I still like yours though!

Kind regards,

John

Thanks Trevor,

The folding peep element on 2771 is certainly unique and the only such sight known to me. Aperture sights were banned under Bisley Service Rifle rules until aperture elements on the rearsight only were permitted in 1908. Most competitors found this gave no advantage at all and the following year, the NRA relented and allowed aperture sights to be used in their natural position immediately in front of the eye. 2771 may well have been commissioned by a Bisley competitor who wanted to keep his eye in with the Britannia!

Thanks for sharing details of 2519, as I did not have that one listed - I'm guessing .177 Britannia rather than Anglo Sure Shot?

Kind regards,

John.
    I have recently bought a .177 Britannia serial number 926

I don't have it yet but it is from the recent Adam Partridge auction. Apparently the lots were from a huge collector.

Ill make a post about it when I get it.

Hi John,

No. 2087 in at least 3 places. .177". Cox's Patent. C G BONEHILL SOLE MANUFACTURER on top of barrel.

THE BRITANNIA, TRADE MARK on side of breech. Barrel length 21". Seesaw backlight. There is a nut on the

pivot bolt. Repatriated from Downunder.

I have another elsewhere. Details to follow when I prepare for MM.

I've never had a Sureshot. What, if any, are the differences?

Hope this is of use.

Carry on the good work.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Hi John,

No. 2087 in at least 3 places. .177". Cox's Patent. C G BONEHILL SOLE MANUFACTURER on top of barrel.

THE BRITANNIA, TRADE MARK on side of breech. Barrel length 21". Seesaw backlight. There is a nut on the

pivot bolt. Repatriated from Downunder.

I have another elsewhere. Details to follow when I prepare for MM.

I've never had a Sureshot. What, if any, are the differences?

Hope this is of use.

Carry on the good work.

ATB, Mick
    Thanks Mick,

The Anglo Sure Shot was simply a Britannia retailed by Robert Ramsbotton of Manchester, who bought enough rifles to have them marked up under his own name. Around 33% of the 120 surviving rifles known to me are marked Anglo Sure Shot. Other than markings, both the Britannia and Anglo Sure Shot were identical.

Kind regards,

John

Thanks Mick,

The Anglo Sure Shot was simply a Britannia retailed by Robert Ramsbotton of Manchester, who bought enough rifles to have them marked up under his own name. Around 33% of the 120 surviving rifles known to me are marked Anglo Sure Shot. Other than markings, both the Britannia and Anglo Sure Shot were identical.

Kind regards,

John

Aaaawwww, I was hoping for something more arcane.

For some reason they aren't mentioned in my Hiller so it wasn't much use there.

ATB, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Thanks, Trev. Never seen one before.

ATB, Mick

Britannia

Hello John,

I recently purchased 755. The sights don't look original, although they appear very aged. Has a Ramsbottom Manchester medallion impressed into the butt of the rifle stock. Shoots nicely and I just love the 'balance' of these rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew64 View Post
    Hello John,

I recently purchased 755. The sights don't look original, although they appear very aged. Has a Ramsbottom Manchester medallion impressed into the butt of the rifle stock. Shoots nicely and I just love the 'balance' of these rifles.
    Thank you Andrew,

I agree with your comments - these rifles balance beautifully and just beg to be picked up and shot.

Is 755 marked Anglo Sure Shot on the breech?

Also, is it a .177?

Kind regards,

John

Britannia

Hi John,

It is a .177. It is in at the local gunsmith's for an internal inspection, clean up and service. I can't remember if it is stamped 'anglo sure shot' on the breech. I don't think so, will have a look and confirm when I get the rifle back. It has the Britannia logo stamped on the side of the breech.

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew64 View Post
    Hi John,

It is a .177. It is in at the local gunsmith's for an internal inspection, clean up and service. I can't remember if it is stamped 'anglo sure shot' on the breech. I don't think so, will have a look and confirm when I get the rifle back. It has the Britannia logo stamped on the side of the breech.

Andrew.
    Thanks again Andrew - enjoy!

Kind regards,

John