Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Britannia

Mine is number 926 and its a .177 Britannia.

I would love to shoot it but there are a couple of problems with mine. Some times when I cock the rifle, it discharges straight away and almost wacks me in the face. It is also missing the rear see saw sight and needs a reblue.

Poor thing is just sat in my safe gathering dust. I don't really have the skills to restore it and yet I cant bring myself to get rid of it. Does anyone know of anybody who is able to restore these old rifles. I know this probably be cheap but I don't mind forking out a bit to get this rifle back to the condition it deserves.

Sounds like you need to adjust the trigger.
    I think it's one of the screws on the bottom of the gun.

And another: 2771, .177, The Britannia, regd. trade mark, 22 7/8" barrel. Seesaw aperture sight with windage. Will be repatriated by Xmas.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    And another: 2771, .177, The Britannia, regd. trade mark, 22 7/8" barrel. Seesaw aperture sight with windage. Will be repatriated by Xmas.

ATB, Mick
    Thank you Mick,

I know of this rifle already as it has a very interesting rearsight with a peep element.

Thanks for posting though.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Mine is number 926 and its a .177 Britannia.

I would love to shoot it but there are a couple of problems with mine. Some times when I cock the rifle, it discharges straight away and almost wacks me in the face. It is also missing the rear see saw sight and needs a reblue.

Poor thing is just sat in my safe gathering dust. I don't really have the skills to restore it and yet I cant bring myself to get rid of it. Does anyone know of anybody who is able to restore these old rifles. I know this probably be cheap but I don't mind forking out a bit to get this rifle back to the condition it deserves.
    As Gingernut says, it could be the sear needs adjusting. The piston should have 2 notches for high and low power: is the sear light on both?

I had a similar problem with the first Britannia I bought: Te sear was reshaped and rehardened by Sandwell Field Sports and Venom but without success. In the end, a local gunsmith did the job for me and touch wood, she's still working.

John

I have jut neen offred a boxed Brittania ser no 1601 with a bit of rust externally and im going to buy it. Cant wait for deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thank you Mick,

I know of this rifle already as it has a very interesting rearsight with a peep element.

Thanks for posting though.

Kind regards,

John
    Hasn't the internet shrunk the world? If proof was needed - this is it. Regards to either of the 2 Trevors who probably beat me to it.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by craig durant View Post
    I have jut neen offred a boxed Brittania ser no 1601 with a bit of rust externally and im going to buy it. Cant wait for deliver.
    Hi Craig,

I don't believe any boxed Britannia air rifles are currently known, so I'd be interested to see what your new acquisition turns out like.

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Craig,

I don't believe any boxed Britannia air rifles are currently known, so I'd be interested to see what your new acquisition turns out like.

John
    Me as well. if you could put some photos up of the box please.

Well the Britannia arrived this evening and sadly there is no box and neither is it in a good condition. There was a misunderstanding between myself and a third party who offered it to me.Needless to say i bought her anyway.The barrel serial number does not match the trigger block number either. Barrel is 1492 and trigger 1801

According to a repro 1920 C.G Bonehill catalogue all Bonehill rifles were:
    '...put in a strong cardboard box, upon the lid of which the firms name and address are printed'

It's probably wishful thinking that any would have survived, but you never know.

Mine's sn. 1203, has the seesaw rearsight, 'C.G Bonehill sole manufacturer' on the top. No Anglo sureshot markings.
    Its just under 36'' and is in .177.

As you know john it's in quite nice condition. Little video to follow soon.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Hi John,

To add to your register I have sn 327, 'The Britannia' trademark on left side, 'Cox's patents C G Bonehill, Sole Manufacturer Birmingham' on top, 21" barrel in .177 The rear sight is of the twin leaf type, with the front one folding.

Quote Originally Posted by craig durant View Post
    Well the Britannia arrived this evening and sadly there is no box and neither is it in a good condition. There was a misunderstanding between myself and a third party who offered it to me.Needless to say i bought her anyway.The barrel serial number does not match the trigger block number either. Barrel is 1492 and trigger 1801
    That's a shame Craig. I know of 1491, which is a .25.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post
    Hi John,

To add to your register I have sn 327, 'The Britannia' trademark on left side, 'Cox's patents C G Bonehill, Sole Manufacturer Birmingham' on top, 21" barrel in .177 The rear sight is of the twin leaf type, with the front one folding.
    That's another new one for the list!

Thank you.

John