Thread: What colour filters?

What colour filters?

What colour filters would you recommend for pistol shooting? I'm looking at getting a couple of clip on filters to try.

Never felt like ive needed them for shooting indoors at 10m/20yards, but sometimes when shooting outdoors i struggle with the glare.

Thanks,

Jim

For a number of years I have used a yellow filter for indoor 10m air pistol and this (for me) gives a more clearly defined image of sight picture and aiming mark but most fellow shooters do not use any filters at all so I think it all depends on target illumination on different ranges and differences in individual eyesight.
    On some outdoor ranges I have used an orange filter when I have found target illumination to have been excessive.
    All a matter of personal choice I suppose!
    Aubrey

2nd for yellow, gives a nice defined sight picture, I use light yellow indoor and dark yellow outside
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejimbo View Post
    What colour filters would you recommend for pistol shooting? I'm looking at getting a couple of clip on filters to try.

Never felt like ive needed them for shooting indoors at 10m/20yards, but sometimes when shooting outdoors i struggle with the glare.

Thanks,

Jim
    Yellow for outdoor if the light is poor,as it enhances the contrast of the sight picture,the greatest contrast the human eye can detect is between yellow and dark blue.
    For indoor it really depends on the type of range lighting and the lumen rating at the target and also the firing point,I use a lens with a very slight green tint on my home range indoor,as I find it quite restful during a 60 shot match,all eyes are different though so you would need to experiment with indoor filters
    For glare outdoor,try something in the light grey range
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Thanks guys, Ill give it a try.

Jim