Thread: Parker hale Sportarget sights on interwar BSA rifles

edbear2 Guest

Parker hale Sportarget sights on interwar BSA rifles

I expect most on here have seen one of these sights , or at least an image of the Airsporter specific Parker Hale unit. Anyhows, I was having a clear out earlier and found a tatty 1940 Parker Hale catalogue, quite interesting in the air rifle section was very comprehensive with no less than 8 air rifle targets, 4 of which were "catchers" and 4 bell types of bell target.

Also surprising (1940!) the Haenel 33 was featured, with Parkers own round shot and other pellets AND the Diana 45! (maybe the print run was done in 1939 before the fuss started, but there were several German powder burners shown as well

Plus obviously the expected full range of BSA and Webley rifles plus the Greener and the Sportarget shown on a late style pre WW2 BSA stock. The number for anyone who may be lucky enough to own / find one is 10AR (single hole eyepiece) or 10ARM (sight with midget 6 hole eyepiece).

The Sprawson - Parker traversing sight (made especially for the BSA Club) was featured too

Will get a scan up when I can, but a chance find of some information which may be of interest maybe

ATB, Ed

Hi Eddie,

I have been looking for one of these sights for years. There were two types of PH aperture for late pre war BSAs. One where you had to cut some of the stock to make it fit and the other, which fitted directly onto the stock. The Sprawson would also be very desirable - he was a fascinating individual. I have a little information on his air rifle shooting career, which I have included in the manuscript I have been preparing for years.

I recently bought a Haenel 33 'Senior', which still has the original 8 shot mag. The prewar 8 shot mags were intended for this rifle only and had the magazine notch machined further down than the 6 and 12 shot mags. For this reason post war mags will not fit the Senior unless a new notch is machined. Sadly my original mag was damaged but my friend Paul O'Donnell adapted a post war 8 shot and I have been enjoying myself with the Senior ever since. The Kynoch shot mentioned in the catalogue is 4.45mm rather than the post war 4.4 mm and some reviewers, such as one from July 2010's Airgun Shooter suggest the rifles do not like anything but 4.45mm. That has not been my experience though, as my Senior digests 4.4mm ball without jamming.

Sorry, seem to have gone off at a tangent.

Kind regards,

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Ed how are you doing, my copy 1940 has a sticker on it saying. kindly note, (a) all prices are pre-war and are liable to alteration due to increased cost ect.
    (b)2.1/2% is added to all our invoices to cover compulsory War expences. (c) depreciation of the pound, increased shipping charges, ect, have increased the prices of foreign goods very considerbly, March 1940

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Ed how are you doing, my copy 1940 has a sticker on it saying. kindly note, (a) all prices are pre-war and are liable to alteration due to increased cost ect.
    (b)2.1/2% is added to all our invoices to cover compulsory War expences. (c) depreciation of the pound, increased shipping charges, ect, have increased the prices of foreign goods very considerbly, March 1940
    Hi Mate, that's interesting as mine has no covers so this info was missing...Still surprised to see "enemy" made kit advertised for sale at a time when the Battle of Britain was in full swing, I wonder if they sold any / got any inquiries

ATB, Ed

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Mate, that's interesting as mine has no covers so this info was missing...Still surprised to see "enemy" made kit advertised for sale at a time when the Battle of Britain was in full swing, I wonder if they sold any / got any inquiries

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed, maybe the did sell some, so if they did invade us we could shoot them with their own guns. the label was stuck onto the first page of my copy.
    ATB
    Mick.