Thread: Westlake Alfa - Any tips for a new owner ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When your filling the power vials do you tend to just use a powder thrower (and occasionally weigh to check its on), or use a powder trickler for each one ?

I was just thinking it may want every one weighing as the tolerance range for the powder is quite tight.

Alfa MLR

When I fill my phials I use a Henry Krank small powder flask with a tiny nozzle that has been cut down to size so as to give the right measure. I can roughly adjust the amounts by various means-sticking things in the hole lol. I weigh out the powder on my digital scales for the first few and then line them up and do a visual check. I know that my load is accurate, I have weighed all my phials and they are (surprisingly) more or less identical in weight, consequently loaded phials should all weigh the same. Hence it is easy to check your charge is correct without hassle eg spilling powder.

I used a Lee powder thrower, never had an issue with repeatability.

These days I've ditched the phials and use a dedicated dispenser. Derek at Anvil Conversions does them. I already owned one of Derek's Remington .44 nitro conversions and the dispenser for than gun worked very well so I ordered a second dispenser for the Alfa. Not cheap but they certainly work and are much more convenient than the phials.

Details on his page http://anvilconversions.co.uk/

Cheers!
    Paul.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.