Thread: Westlake Alfa - Any tips for a new owner ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alfa

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Just picked up my Alfa from Alan What a true gent and I'm very pleased with the look and feel of the pistol - takes me back 20 years !

Now I've just got to wait until tomorrow to shoot it
    Where do you shoot?

I shoot at Wedgnock ranges in Warwick.

Shot 60 rounds today with no jams or issues at all. Went bang every time with both single and double action

Couple of lessons I learned was I need to get a clamp to clamp down the back of the bullet loader so it doesn't tip over, and put some tape on the loader handle to make it more comfortable to use.

The Cheddite primers that Alan supplied all worked fine - I wasn't aware until he told me that shotgun primers come in different strengths and that the pistol should only use the lightest ones (CX50 for Cheddite).

I also need some baby-wipes as while theres no shooting residue, my hands got very dirty from handling the lubed wadcutters.

I mostly shot the solid-base 148gr wadcutters over 3gr Herco and tried a few hollow bases and some 3.2gr Herco as well. Today was more of a function test - next time I go I'll start working up the load for accuracy.

All-in-all I'm very pleased and can't wait to try it again !

Couple of maintenance questions,

How are people cleaning the chambers in the cylinder ?

Whats a good lubricant for the cylinder/yoke so it spins smoothly ?