Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet recommendation for .45 rifle

Found the oil too. Had to order online, hope it gets here this week..

Because of the local climate, you may need to use a more equable mixture - in Canada, where it gets as cold, if not colder than Finland for a lot of the year, we tend to use a 80/20 mix in summer and 60/40 in Winter, when the resultant lube thickens up because of the cold. However, we usually stop shooting when it hits -25C - it's not so much fun and your face can easily get 'welded' to the rifle. In all case, the first figure is Bees-wax.

You can easily melt the beeswax in a microwave and then add the NFO - mix it thoroughly and then pour it into a low pan in which you have stood up your bullets. Let it harden, then use a cookie cutter made from a .45 Long Colt case to remove the bullets from the pan. I use a piece of brass tubing from a local hobby store - use that if you have such a place. Perhaps Hobbylinna in Lukkosepänkatu? It is usually sold from a selection counter-top unit - look for KS Metals.

After you have removed them, then you can put them through the sizing die - this will remove most of the unwanted lube as well as regularise the diameter of the bullet. Don't forget to remove the lube from the nose of the bullet - not needed there.

tac

Thanks again.

NFO arrived today. I´ll cast more bullets tomorrow as the ones I made yesterday feel a bit hard.
    I know K&S tubes, used to "play" with RC helicopters, planes, cars and boats some years ago. Hobbylinna moved to Satakunnantie a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    Thanks again.

NFO arrived today. I´ll cast more bullets tomorrow as the ones I made yesterday feel a bit hard.
    I know K&S tubes, used to "play" with RC helicopters, planes, cars and boats some years ago. Hobbylinna moved to Satakunnantie a couple of years ago.

Actually, for long-range shooting, hard is not a bad thing - 10% tin/antimony is fine, but linotype [if you can get it] is just bit too hard.

Apologies for the mistake about Hobbylinna - it's a while since I went there.

tac

Ok, good to hear that. I cast the bullets from scrap lead collected from indoors airgun range.
    Bullets sized 11.41mm are snug fit to my barrel.

Went testing today. 500gr bullets grouped to approx. 20cm, but holes were not round. So they didn´t stabilize properly.
    Tried with ca. 45gr load of Swiss #2. Recoil was a bit unpleasant even with that load... Also forgot the wads home. Will redo next week.

Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    Ok, good to hear that. I cast the bullets from scrap lead collected from indoors airgun range.
    Bullets sized 11.41mm are snug fit to my barrel.

Went testing today. 500gr bullets grouped to approx. 20cm, but holes were not round. So they didn´t stabilize properly.
    Tried with ca. 45gr load of Swiss #2. Recoil was a bit unpleasant even with that load... Also forgot the wads home. Will redo next week.
    Sorry to say that 45gr is nowhere near enough - at least 65gr or so is needed to expand the bullet into the bore and stabilise it. The usual load, as I mentioned before, is 80 - 90gr and that same bullet.

Bullets cast from air-gun lead are fine - that stuff is VERY pure lead.

tac