Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more scope adjustment?

No more scope adjustment?

I've just put a Nikko Stirling 8-24 x 50 panamax on my HW100 in .22 and found that I can't get any more elevation adjustment to get zero at 38 yards with 16 grain pellets.

Doesn't sound right to me?

I haven't moved the mounts as the previous scope was a 4-12 x 50 mount master.

38 yards is not really long range, even with a heavy pellet?

Any ideas?

Take the scope off.

CENTRALISE the turret adjustments.

Put the scope back on and zero as normal.

My guess is that your elevation adjustment had already been moved around a bit and wasn't centralised to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardinDorset View Post
    I've just put a Nikko Stirling 8-24 x 50 panamax on my HW100 in .22 and found that I can't get any more elevation adjustment to get zero at 38 yards with 16 grain pellets.

Any ideas?
    Yes it is, there will be a huge gap in the PBR from 11.4yds to 35.4yds, with the trajectory high point 1.5 inches at 25yds which is right where you want it to be bang on
    to me a stupidly long zero range & utterly pointless.

28yds is about ideal.

Unless of course you're FAC power.

Any ideas?
    Do the two scopes have the same elevation range?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by jm5* View Post
    Take the scope off.

CENTRALISE the turret adjustments.

Put the scope back on and zero as normal.

My guess is that your elevation adjustment had already been moved around a bit and wasn't centralised to start with.
    I don't see how this will help him at all if he has ran out of adjustment.
    Master Debater

If you look at specs on Panamax you'll see very small moa range of adjustment -often 30
    Optics warehouse and Uttings have heavily discounted these scopes

Nikon have a massive moa range Hawke have improved there's too now on most models

There are solutions but the best one is get another scope (after checking barrel been bedded in straight or not bent knocked), mind you most airgun makers will blame customers or shop if it came out of factory a lemon anyway ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    If you look at specs on Panamax you'll see very small moa range of adjustment -often 30

Nikon have a massive moa range Hawke have improved there's too now on most models

There are solutions but the best one is get another scope (after checking barrel been bedded in straight or not bent knocked), mind you most airgun makers will blame customers or shop if it came out of factory a lemon anyway ....
    Or just get a set of adjustable mounts, which is going to be far cheaper, and a better solution all round.

Ahhh, maybe that's why these are discounted then!

If so, it's no biggie, I'll just shim the mounts slightly.

I'll see where it's going at the mid point of adjustment, but I can't see how the will help really....

I had a Nikko Stirling Sniper on a .308 once. It had enough adjustment to go from 300 to 1200 yards! (96 clicks IIRC). I was astounded to get my first round on target! That was such a good scope for the money....

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yes it is, there will be a huge gap in the PBR from 11.4yds to 35.4yds, with the trajectory high point 1.5 inches at 25yds which is right where you want it to be bang on
    to me a stupidly long zero range & utterly pointless.

28yds is about ideal.

Unless of course you're FAC power.

I'm shooting a targets at this range, not bunnies!

I just tried the trajectory calculator on american airguns, Air Arms .22 BC=0.032, Diameter .22", MV 600fps (guessing this), Weight 16 grains and I get zero at 14 and 25 yards with apogee at 19 yards. 40 yards is -2.3" below zero.

Have I got the right MV?

Try putting 2 shims of film negative in the saddle of the rear mount.

I had a Nikko Stirling Sniper on a .308 once. It had enough adjustment to go from 300 to 1200 yards! (96 clicks IIRC). I was astounded to get my first round on target! That was such a good scope for the money....
    Even if probly 30years a old nikko sniper/sportsman is better then a modern nikko, proper robust japanese built.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I just tried the trajectory calculator on american airguns, Air Arms .22 BC=0.032, Diameter .22", MV 600fps (guessing this), Weight 16 grains and I get zero at 14 and 25 yards with apogee at 19 yards. 40 yards is -2.3" below zero.

Have I got the right MV?
    No, 600fps @ 16gn = 12.7ftlb so FAC, 570fps = 11.4ftlbs which is a good safe level.

Download Hawke chairgun for air rifle trajectory, if you zero at 28yds you can then just use holdover at longer ranges, but from about 10-36yds you will be aiming bang on the "+" to be within 1/2" of POA.

If you only ever shoot at 40yd targets then it might make sense to zero at that, but it gives a very steep & high trajectory curve so all other ranges will need to be inch perfect to get the pellet close.

Have I got the right MV?
    600 ft/s with a 16 grs pellet puts you well into the FAC band 12.8 ft.lbs. Most UK sub 12 guns make about 565~570 ft/s with these pellets . The BC value is also too high for our guns try 0.026~0.28.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    600 ft/s with a 16 grs pellet puts you well into the FAC band 12.8 ft.lbs. Most UK sub 12 guns make about 565~570 ft/s with these pellets . The BC value is also too high for our guns try 0.026~0.28.

A.G
    OK thanks, 575fps gets my zero at 14 and 25 yards with apogee at 18 yards. 40 yards is a drop of 2.63".

The BC I got was from Chrono Connect and HuntingLife, not sure what you mean about the BC being too high for our guns? It's a function of the pellet shape, correct?