Thread: Airsporter questions for Jeff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile

Today I spoke with him for a short while; the Mk2 is up and running again with the original leather seal in place and grouping well with an average in the mid 700s. Not too sure what spring though. Probably a bit of dieseling so should settle to a respectable speed.

You are a good lot, mostly
    Thanks for your help. I will pass on the information for Jeff to digest when I visit next and get some images up when I return so that you can see what he has to work with.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 29-09-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Today I spoke with him for a short while; the Mk2 is up and running again with the original leather seal in place and grouping well with an average in the mid 700s. Not too sure what spring though. Probably a bit of dieseling so should settle to a respectable speed.

You are a good lot, mostly
    Thanks for your help. I will pass on the information for Jeff to digest when I visit next and get some images up when I return so that you can see what he has to work with.
    All old Airsporters (especially the Mk1s and 2s) are worthy candidates for restoration - the parts supply (new and secondhand) is good and they are simple and usually cheap to work on!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thumbs up

Still with the original piston seal and a new breech seal made, a suitable spring was selected that isn't going to over stress; 80kg at fully closed 110mm.
    The Airsporter has now settled to the mid 600s and after some more attention to the barrel is grouping within 15mm. No smoke either
    As mentioned earlier, the stock has been got at with what can best be described as a rudimentary attempt at checkering.
    Rudimentary is the kindest description I can offer.
    About the poor images, my phone lens was not clean (I am sticking with that excuse)
    I am still persevering with PB until(?) I can get my head around flickr

Edit. I think that I have got it right now.

Of course, when the action is completed, what would be ideal is a clean replacement stock. So with that in mind we shall keep our eyes peeled.

In the meantime Jeff has considered filling in the damage with wood filler, leaving as is, inlaying with wood, consolidating the mess that has been done and repeating it on the other side. The last suggestion was given short shrift and firmly discarded

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 27-11-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Sorry mate, the links didn't work for me!

Good to hear another Airsporter is giving pleasure and has been resurrected again, something very pleasing about restoring something - you put a bit of you into it!

The stock - seek a decent second hand replacement - they turn up from time to time but can be expensive for the Mk1s and 2s, indeed even the later marks, repairs, depending on the damage, can be difficult to achieve well due to the three piece design, I have a project Mk1 I acquired that still wears a mk4/5 stock that was fitted when I got it, my intention is to make a new stock - if I ever get around to it!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Sorry mate, the links didn't work for me!

Good to hear another Airsporter is giving pleasure and has been resurrected again, something very pleasing about restoring something - you put a bit of you into it!

The stock - seek a decent second hand replacement - they turn up from time to time but can be expensive for the Mk1s and 2s, indeed even the later marks, repairs, depending on the damage, can be difficult to achieve well due to the three piece design, I have a project Mk1 I acquired that still wears a mk4/5 stock that was fitted when I got it, my intention is to make a new stock - if I ever get around to it!

ASM
    Jobs to do. I have a few of those myself
    I am still working around the flickr format. The links have been edited so maybe they will work now?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Jobs to do. I have a few of those myself
    I am still working around the flickr format. The links have been edited so maybe they will work now?
    Looks like a good project, yes mate, I confirm the images are working now - good size images too!

Good luck with the project!

ASM