Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter questions for Jeff

Thumbs up Airsporter questions for Jeff

A few questions on a BSA Airsporter 0.177” (Club?)

This BSA came by way of exchange.
    As is sometimes found, some fool has carved part of the stock, then sanded the air cylinder and left it to develop (patina?) light rust.
    The serial number is EE61074
    It has the parallel barrel with duck bill, also the folding leaf rear sight.
    The piston is of rolled steel construction and the cocking rod is brazed.

What I can ascertain it is a MK2 that ran from 1959 through to 1965.
    Can we put a definitive year of manufacture on this particular air rifle for Jeff?
    More importantly, were these ever blued as in the early MK1 Meteors or were they painted.
    If they were painted was it from the outset of the MK2 or during its production run and if so is the transition known?
    Another question; what type of paint, stove enamel or other?

Thanks for any help in this regard. As is usual, Jeff is beavering away with its function while he waits for answers to these questions.
    Cheers.

PS edited description
    Last edited by slow_runner; 29-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    A few questions on a BSA Airsporter 0.177” (Club?)

This BSA came by way of exchange.
    As is sometimes found, some fool has carved part of the stock, then sanded the receiver and left it to develop (patina?) light rust.
    The serial number is EE61074
    It has the parallel barrel with duck bill, also the folding leaf rear sight.
    The piston is of rolled steel construction and the cocking rod is brazed.

What I can ascertain it is a MK2 that ran from 1959 through to 1965.
    Can we put a definitive year of manufacture on this particular air rifle for Jeff?
    More importantly, were these ever blued as in the early MK1 Meteors or were they painted.
    If they were painted was it from the outset of the MK2 or during its production run and if so is the transition known?
    Another question; what type of paint, stove enamel or other?

Thanks for any help in this regard. As is usual, Jeff is beavering away with its function while he waits for answers to these questions.
    Cheers
    I don't have access to serial numbers right now, but I can tell you that as far as I am aware the steel was all blued. The only thing that was painted was the aluminium trigger block, i.e. the beautifully curved/rounded rear section and the trigger guard.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'receiver'. If you mean the trigger block, then as said above it is made of aluminium so won't rust. You regularly see these where people have removed the factory coating leaving shiny aluminium right in the shooters vision. :-(

P.S. I have a 0.177 numbered EE6470. That was supplied new in 1964.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 23-09-2016 at 07:08 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Thumbs up Thanks Airsporter1st

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'receiver'.
    P.S. I have a 0.177 numbered EE6470. That was supplied new in 1964.
    Edited to air cylinder. Thanks for the serial number; that will provide a reference for him.

Edited to air cylinder. Thanks for the serial number; that will provide a reference for him.
    Ah - in that case it should be blued, with the name etched on top. The etching usually fades with time and presumably has completely gone from Jeff's.

Here's what it should look like.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 23-09-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I concur with everything Paul has said. (to the best of my knowledge)

The 'Club' models predated the Airsporter range which they morphed into - they were similar but had shorter air cylinders and other detail differences?
    As far as I am aware, all Airsporters had only blued finishes to the metal parts, the trigger block being alloy and painted.
    The 'sister' rifle to the Airsporter was the break barrel Mercury - it had blued steel finish but in some cases an inferior painted finish instead.
    The Airsporter was at that time regarded as the 'top of the BSA Air rifle range' and was the most expensive of the range.
    The trigger block has some form of enamel type paint applied at the factory? Various different types of paint finish have been used by different people to varying degrees of success, if I was going to 'replicate' the finish, I would attempt stove enamelling, the only rifle I have that needed this (a project mk2 I aquired) had been polished by a previous owner but had 'dulled'. I decided it was part of that rifles personal history so I decided to leave it alone and am happy as it is, it's the only Airsporter I have thus finished. (It looks tidy now)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Smile

It looks nothing like that example Paul, that is stunning!

Hi Airsporterman. No, this one should not be left alone, nor should it, it is a sight.

At this early point we know it to be pre 1964, thanks to Paul.
    Are there any other serial numbers with known manufacture dates close to this one; or a register available?

It looks nothing like that example Paul, that is stunning!

Hi Airsporterman. No, this one should not be left alone, nor should it, it is a sight.

At this early point we know it to be pre 1964, thanks to Paul.
    Are there any other serial numbers with known manufacture dates close to this one; or a register available?
    Honestly mate - you wouldn't say that if you saw it when I was given it and the way it is now!
    Normally I would agree that an old rifle should be returned to as 'left the factory' as it's possible to get, however, in this case, I didn't have the heart to change it - I married it to a spare Mk1 stock I had (more cries of woe ) as it didn't have one, also a replacement pop up rear sight as it was missing, it was cleaned up, oiled and waxed and to me just looks 'honest' - I am happy to leave it so, perhaps the next 'keeper' will choose to change it but while I have it, it will remain 'as is'!
    (It's individual - as indeed most of them are!)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Oops, meant to add - I believe John Knibbs may have the BSA manufacturing records with some dates - but they may charge for an enquiry and I don't know if you will get much closer than the date you have?

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Oops, meant to add - I believe John Knibbs may have the BSA manufacturing records with some dates - but they may charge for an enquiry and I don't know if you will get much closer than the date you have?

ASM
    I meant to add that too! John Knibbs dated my rifle for me. They didn't charge and I received the answer within 24 hours of emailing them the serial number. However, I heard subsequently that they do now charge (£20?) for an enquiry.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

edbear2 Guest
    Just to add a little bit, on all of the MK1 guns and the early Club I have, the trigger block is anodized. This fades to a tell tale silvery finish with age and can be redone by sending to a platers. The result is far better than any paint finish (I have tried the lot!).

Later MK's were painted with varying degrees / durability of finish, I would imagine electro static painting or powder coat would be the best way to go to re-furb a later gun.

With the silly price of rattlecan paint these days, doing it properly is actually cost effective IMHO.

ATb, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Just to add a little bit, on all of the MK1 guns and the early Club I have, the trigger block is anodized. This fades to a tell tale silvery finish with age and can be redone by sending to a platers. The result is far better than any paint finish (I have tried the lot!).

Later MK's were painted with varying degrees / durability of finish, I would imagine electro static painting or powder coat would be the best way to go to re-furb a later gun.

With the silly price of rattlecan paint these days, doing it properly is actually cost effective IMHO.

ATb, Ed
    Powder coating - possibly if you could get it in with a larger batch (to keep down costs) and the quality was good - would be worth a try!

ASM

Smile

Today I spoke with him for a short while; the Mk2 is up and running again with the original leather seal in place and grouping well with an average in the mid 700s. Not too sure what spring though. Probably a bit of dieseling so should settle to a respectable speed.

You are a good lot, mostly
    Thanks for your help. I will pass on the information for Jeff to digest when I visit next and get some images up when I return so that you can see what he has to work with.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 29-09-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Today I spoke with him for a short while; the Mk2 is up and running again with the original leather seal in place and grouping well with an average in the mid 700s. Not too sure what spring though. Probably a bit of dieseling so should settle to a respectable speed.

You are a good lot, mostly
    Thanks for your help. I will pass on the information for Jeff to digest when I visit next and get some images up when I return so that you can see what he has to work with.
    All old Airsporters (especially the Mk1s and 2s) are worthy candidates for restoration - the parts supply (new and secondhand) is good and they are simple and usually cheap to work on!

ASM

Thumbs up

Still with the original piston seal and a new breech seal made, a suitable spring was selected that isn't going to over stress; 80kg at fully closed 110mm.
    The Airsporter has now settled to the mid 600s and after some more attention to the barrel is grouping within 15mm. No smoke either
    As mentioned earlier, the stock has been got at with what can best be described as a rudimentary attempt at checkering.
    Rudimentary is the kindest description I can offer.
    About the poor images, my phone lens was not clean (I am sticking with that excuse)
    I am still persevering with PB until(?) I can get my head around flickr

Edit. I think that I have got it right now.

Of course, when the action is completed, what would be ideal is a clean replacement stock. So with that in mind we shall keep our eyes peeled.

In the meantime Jeff has considered filling in the damage with wood filler, leaving as is, inlaying with wood, consolidating the mess that has been done and repeating it on the other side. The last suggestion was given short shrift and firmly discarded

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 27-11-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Sorry mate, the links didn't work for me!

Good to hear another Airsporter is giving pleasure and has been resurrected again, something very pleasing about restoring something - you put a bit of you into it!

The stock - seek a decent second hand replacement - they turn up from time to time but can be expensive for the Mk1s and 2s, indeed even the later marks, repairs, depending on the damage, can be difficult to achieve well due to the three piece design, I have a project Mk1 I acquired that still wears a mk4/5 stock that was fitted when I got it, my intention is to make a new stock - if I ever get around to it!

ASM