Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope

Spotting scope

Hope this is the right place, anyone use one ? if so what are you using ?,

Rob

Yes, but what do you intend to use it for? Is it 25 yards indoor and occasional use at 50m outdoors or something else? A £25 Aldi scope is OK at 25 yards, just about useable at 50m in good light but of no use beyond that.

If you give a bit more information you will get better answers.

Rutty

Thanks for the reply, outside range up to 50mtrs.

Rob

I use a Nikon ED50 but may be overkill as I bought it for wildlife spotting really. Really small and light with superb optics.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    I use a Nikon ED50 but may be overkill as I bought it for wildlife spotting really. Really small and light with superb optics.
    Many thanks,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Many thanks,

Rob
    You're welcome. I did once have a Nikon Monarch scope that was cheaper but did a good enough job on the range and for archery.

Whatever make you get it should have at least a 60mm object lens. 25x magnification will be fine at 50m but you may want a little more if you are going to shoot 100 yards. The zoom eyepieces aren't quite as useful as they appear because you will probably only use a fairly limited range of magnification. What is important about the eyepiece is that has a wide angle exit lens. This means that you will be able to see through the scope more easily and helps to minimise head movement. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me buying a good quality secondhand scope at the right price if it only had a small exit lens.

The makes really depend on the depth of your pocket. Bear in mind that a good scope will last a lifetime so it's worth spending a bit on it. The cheaper end of the new market are Opticron, but they do represent very good value for money. I moved to one 10 years ago having had a Greenkat for the preceding 25. You will not go wrong with Kowa, Nikon or Pentax but the price ramps up fairly quickly. The older Kowas do appear on a well known auction site and can be a real bargain. Don't be put off by age as they are very durable. The bird spotting forums are worth a look as good secondhand scopes do turn up there. Either that or the firms who cater for that market as they do take items in part exchange. Birders tend to change their kit more often than shooters.

Hope that this helps.
    Rutty
    Last edited by Rutty; 25-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks again for the information gents.

I have missed the bird watching fair at Rutland water this year, which would of been an ideal place to try whats on the market, it was there that helped me choose my bino's.

Rob

May be worth nipping to your local WWT reserve. Some have excellent real life viewing, rather than peering out of a shop window on a main street !

If you don't want to spend much I found these surprisingly good.

Frog

Thanks, but it says site unobtainable ?

Rob

Not sure what happened there!

Try fleabay item 142118150387

Some reviews here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tasco-15-45.../dp/B00009NN2K

Cheers

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 26-09-2016 at 09:53 AM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Very much agree with what Rutty has said, its more about quality of lens for target use, I have two old Kowa's both 25 X 60 lens, 25 is near enough perfect and shooting on Sunday at 600 yds I could see clear enough to challenge scores. An angled eye piece is better for comfort and set up, but an older one will be a lot cheaper and at least as good.

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks gents.

Rob

spotting scope

Swarovski AT 80 a bit pricy but who wants 2nd best