Thread: 1924 BSA 'L' underlever spring question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1924 BSA 'L' underlever spring question.

Good evening all. Just got this, it was cheap and ideal for a project. The spring, not an original one was broken and had about 1/2" preload. But even at that it was quite hard to cock, any harder and I think it would feel stressed and harsh.
    I obtained a new spring from Mr Knibbs with whom I have no problem at all. It has over 2" of preload, I could get it in, I think, but would never be able to cock it.
    What please do you think would be a reasonable preload - 1" ??
    Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    just serviced my ~1921 L

Spring was basically a meteor spring, with about 2" total preload - that is just over an inch to press the end block down to contact, then about 3/4" depth of the threads on the block. The wire is around 3.0mm, with a soft wind (lots of coils for the length), which is important. Shoots nicely, and quite easy to cock, at 7 FP. I have no desire to try to inrease it, as it has a nice soft and fairly quick cycle.

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hello JB thank you, I should have been more accurate perhaps, the spring is 23/8" to the end of the cylinder plus the threaded bit.
    I will compare the spring with the Meteor dimensions and lop from there. I don't expect or indeed want a lot of power.
    Thank you again.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Hello JB thank you, I should have been more accurate perhaps, the spring is 23/8" to the end of the cylinder plus the threaded bit.
    yeah, that's a bit much... I'd chop an inch off for sure... what thickness is the wire ? Coil pitch ? OD ?

(PS My meteor spring was chopped too)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Try Protek, their springs usually fit without modification.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Try Protek, their springs usually fit without modification.
    "without modification" !?!? How quaint !