Thread: "Weather-Proof" Air Rifles ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

"Weather-Proof" Air Rifles ?

On looking through the pages of the airgun mags, I began to wonder just how weather-proof all the latest air rifles shown on the pages would be ?

Down the years, our timber (walnut, beech) stocked, blued-steel actions and barreled air weapons didn't stand up too well against bad weather. If they did get wet, you would spend a considerable amount of time in drying them out.

So looking at the latest synthetic/"rubberised coated" stocks, polymer actions, plastic parts/paneling, adonised aluminium fittings etc. I get the impression that latest modern air rifles "should" stand up to the rigours of our weather a damn sight better than past designs ?

Has anyone owning any of the latest gear noticed this ?
    “An airgun or two”………

If you take normal care of your air rifle I think the only liability is the scope and barrel bore. Good scopes have a positive gas pressure inside to keep out moisture and stop fogging. Would be nice to have a stainless barrel like a lot of firearms today. I work on a lot of airguns and it is quite rare to see a badly rusty barrel bore even on 100 year old types. They usually have rust on the outside through total neglect of just a simple wipe over with oil. When I was in the Royal Marines I often took my SLR into the shower and took it apart to clean off mud before drying, oiling and re-assemble. Was always complimented on its condition after inspection. Even after a total soaking a rifle should not deteriorate if basic care applied.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I would never think of taking my babies outside.

They might catch a cold.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    On looking through the pages of the airgun mags, I began to wonder just how weather-proof all the latest air rifles shown on the pages would be ?

Down the years, our timber (walnut, beech) stocked, blued-steel actions and barreled air weapons didn't stand up too well against bad weather. If they did get wet, you would spend a considerable amount of time in drying them out.

So looking at the latest synthetic/"rubberised coated" stocks, polymer actions, plastic parts/paneling, adonised aluminium fittings etc. I get the impression that latest modern air rifles "should" stand up to the rigours of our weather a damn sight better than past designs ?

Has anyone owning any of the latest gear noticed this ?
    I have to say my huntsman loves the rain & wet grass (I hear you all cringe!!!). I wipe of the coated surfaces with a dry towel when I'm done & back in the bag, never any sign of corrosion. The barrel is shrouded, all the surfaces are powder coated so no real need for oil rag. Only a bit of attention needed to the bolt & mechanical sections.
    Tis very easy to look after.
    My airguns have always been tools to be used & not precious wall hangers., Maybe one day I'll own guns like that but for now it's the way it is.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I have to say my huntsman loves the rain & wet grass (I hear you all cringe!!!). I wipe of the coated surfaces with a dry towel when I'm done & back in the bag, never any sign of corrosion. The barrel is shrouded, all the surfaces are powder coated so no real need for oil rag. Only a bit of attention needed to the bolt & mechanical sections.
    Tis very easy to look after.
    My airguns have always been tools to be used & not precious wall hangers., Maybe one day I'll own guns like that but for now it's the way it is.
    Would agree totally with you Rhys but how do the latest modern Bullpups stand up ?

All the "tests" appear to be held in fine dry conditions, I would like to see them being undertaken in poor, wet weather and subsequent findings be recorded and published !

Are you down at the November Spring Bash by the way, good to meet up with you ?
    John.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 25-09-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Would agree totally with you Rhys but how do the latest modern Bullpups stand up ?

All the "tests" appear to be held in fine dry conditions, I would like to see them being undertaken in poor, wet weather and subsequent findings be recorded and published !

John.
    I see your point., Why don't you ask 'clez'... He's a 'realistic hunter' so to speak with a wildcat., I expect he will be at the November bash, which I hope I can make.., I missed the last one as the missus was in Scotland and I had to look after the sprogletts!!
    So November would be nice
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

how do the latest modern Bullpups stand up ?
    Ive had a Cricket with a synthetic stock and a Matador that had a black rubberised stock. They were both good, solid hunting tools. I had them out in all weather with no negative effects

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    . Even after a total soaking a rifle should not deteriorate if basic care applied.

Baz
    This ^ ^ ^

When I used to hunt, the guns would get an occasional drenching (talking springers here).

Once home, I would let them acclimatise to room temperature in the gun case. Then whip the stock off. Dab kitchen roll onto all wet areas. Then, once dry, a wipe over with the silicone cloth...job done. I still own some of these rifles now, over 30 years later and the finish is still perfect.

Properly cleaning some of those rifles with the cages (are they the Evanix ones?) around the main action would worry me, as I guess you can't easily get in to clean in every nook and cranny. I wonder how easy it would be to remove that outer "cage"?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I missed the last one as the missus was in Scotland and I had to look after the sprogletts!!
    So November would be nice
    It'll be VERY nice if you can make it, Rhys.

You never know, I might even have The Predator back by then????
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Certain FT rifles have a transfer port that is open to the elements momentarily while the action is being cocked. Not a good idea if rain gets in. Not a problem for the 10m rifle from which this model was developed.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.

John.
    Does that mean you want garry to get back in the swimming pool but with the pulsar this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Does that mean you want garry to get back in the swimming pool but with the pulsar this time.
    If thats what it takes !

How does the "modern stuff" cope ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I've soaked a synthetic stock Diana numerous times, and slipped and dipped a tactical Ultra into mud by stream.......

Overall, I do think synthetic stocks are hardier in field, plus plastic is 'truly dry' when dried off.

For inclement weather, I favour these kind of rifles ..
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I've soaked a synthetic stock Diana numerous times, and slipped and dipped a tactical Ultra into mud by stream.......

Overall, I do think synthetic stocks are hardier in field, plus plastic is 'truly dry' when dried off.

For inclement weather, I favour these kind of rifles ..
    I would have thought the same !
    I look at the likes of the AA Galahad, FX Impact, Weihrauch HW 110, Daystate Pulsar and Renegade plus a few other similar offerings and overall, they appear to be very lets say, weather resistant ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    purpose-built alweather airguns

http://imgur.com/FMkBQAo