Thread: Pro Sport - Old and New

Pro Sport - Old and New

I shot a friends excellent (bog standard) early Pro Sport - .177 flavour - at the club this morning....wow what a difference to my 2 year old one - again in .177 flavour.

I can only guess that the early ones were based on the Mk 1 / 2 Tx's with the shorter stroke.

Both as 'pin point' accurate as each other - however the early one seemed to have a quicker shot cycle and required a lot more effort to cock than my later one.

Is this greater cocking effort the reason that the earlier ones seem to have issues with the cocking block's fixing screws stripping ?

I would try and procure one if it were not for the extra cocking effort.......I must have reached that wimp age I'm afraid

Cheers Steve

Would a short stroke kit help?

It worked wonders on my TK.

All of the above.

The truth is that the MKiii TX and ProSports were designed for the US market and are meant to work at much higher power . The versions that we use are actually the detuned models of the guns. Short stroking might be a solution to your problem if done properly.

A.G

My .177 2004 PS has a VMach spring and piston seal. Super slick tight action on a quick shot on par with my .177 Theoben 90. Deadly accurate right out to 50 metres. Beautifully engineered rifle. The very best Ken Turner rifle in my opinion.

The early Pro Sports were 82mm stroke, like the MK1/2 TX. They also had a weak cocking arm, which was replaced after a few breakages.

WonkyDonky (Dave Price) is very knowledgeable about short-stroking the PS. I bought a piston extension with LGU seal and spring kit from him, which transformed my .177 PS. It does add some effort required to cock the rifle but, as expected, it will be a shorter cocking stroke too.

I have fitted a V-mach kit to a friend's PS and I was 'nearly' as impressed as the WD tuned rifle. A V-mach kit is a bit more expensive, slightly easier to cock but leaves the stroke at 96mm.
    Keen but clueless..

Gents

Many thanks for info...its decision time me thinks

Steve