Thread: "Downloaded ammunition"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Of course .22lr cases are only partially full - they were originally for black powder, where a compressed case full was only just enough to match what would now be regarded as a mild load.

I did see results of a 'detonation' many years ago. A 38 Special revolver cylinder had been stretched uniformly along a longitudinal line where the wall was thinnest, binding rotation past the cylinder bolt at that point. The owner recovered it by compressing the cylinder back to size in a pair of bored vice jaws, and continued to use the gun for years afterwards - though I don't know if he omitted the re - squeezed chamber, or even if he knew which one it was... ��

Nobel No.3 pistol powder was blamed - a very fast powder which rightly or wrongly had a bad rep in light loads.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

I bleeve that the term 'downloading' refers to the use of other propellants than those usually recommended being used for low[er] velocity shooting - usually of cast lead bullets rather than the jacketed bullets normally shot in that particular calibre.

The use of the correct propellants is termed a 'reduced load' as it is the correct propellant, but less of it.

The instructions in MOST loading manuals are totally clear, and leave no room for interpretation 'IT IS DANGEROUS TO REDUCE THE LOAD TO LESS THAN THE RECOMMENDED FIGURE'.

What is so hard about that?

tac

Nobel 3

Nobel No 3 was OK for light loads (it is close to Bullseye in burning speed) but it should not be used for higher pressures and there was a warning about its use in 9 mm, which is a fairly high pressure round.
    The subject of detonation has been debated for years (I have seen references to it in 1950s American gun mags). The consensus is that if damage can be caused, then it is by lighter than normal loads of SLOW burning, rifle powders in larger cases.

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    Nobel No 3 was OK for light loads (it is close to Bullseye in burning speed) but it should not be used for higher pressures and there was a warning about its use in 9 mm, which is a fairly high pressure round.
    The subject of detonation has been debated for years (I have seen references to it in 1950s American gun mags). The consensus is that if damage can be caused, then it is by lighter than normal loads of SLOW burning, rifle powders in larger cases.
    Quite right.