Thread: Tell 2 Period Air Pellets

Tell 2 Period Air Pellets

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a German Tell II air pistol to add to my collection. I’m really pleased with it; indeed I was pleasantly surprised by the ‘feel’ and the power of it. It seems to have far more punch than I would credited these pistols with before I got hold of one!

I’ve also spent some time Googling and looked at the various bits and pieces in Trev’s scrapbook on the Tell pistols http://cinedux.com/airgun-articles-t.php.

I note in the pictures in that scrapbook there that the excellent Tell II pistols show have a small (100 pellet) tin of ‘Tell’ air pellets with them. I presume these came with them when new and I wonder if anyone has ever come across these pellets in this country and where I should search to try and track a tin down.

I would also appreciate any advice from collectors as to other period (probably German) pellets which may have originally come with these little pistols.

Thanks

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a German Tell II air pistol to add to my collection. I’m really pleased with it; indeed I was pleasantly surprised by the ‘feel’ and the power of it. It seems to have far more punch than I would credited these pistols with before I got hold of one!

I’ve also spent some time Googling and looked at the various bits and pieces in Trev’s scrapbook on the Tell pistols http://cinedux.com/airgun-articles-t.php.

I note in the pictures in that scrapbook there that the excellent Tell II pistols show have a small (100 pellet) tin of ‘Tell’ air pellets with them. I presume these came with them when new and I wonder if anyone has ever come across these pellets in this country and where I should search to try and track a tin down.

I would also appreciate any advice from collectors as to other period (probably German) pellets which may have originally come with these little pistols.

Thanks

Olly
    Hi Olly,

I once owned tins of 100 and 200 pellets for the Tell 2. I think they were slug shaped. They are very rare, so good luck with sourcing an original.

You could try searching on a certain auction site using Utendoerffer Nurnberg alte Kugeln diabolo. These sometimes show up in 100s and are period correct.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Olly,

I once owned tins of 100 and 200 pellets for the Tell 2. I think they were slug shaped. They are very rare, so good luck with sourcing an original.

You could try searching on a certain auction site using Utendoerffer Nurnberg alte Kugeln diabolo. These sometimes show up in 100s and are period correct.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply - I figured as much with the Tell pellets but I will keep a look out via the auction sites etc as you never know! If anyone happens upon a tin anywhere I would very much appreciate the heads up.

Thanks also for the info re the period correct Utendoerffer Nurnberg alte Kugeln diabolo pellets that sometimes come up - This is exactly the sort of advice I was after re period pellets!

Best

Olly

Hi,

Thanks

Olly
    Hello Olly,

Iv'e been looking out for correct pellet tins to go with my Tell and Haenal pistols for sometime now without any luck. Finding contemporary tins for British air pistols is much easier, so as already stated we might need to start looking further afield to find anything suitable.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

Sorry for my delay in responding. Brian I think you are right about the need to branch out and, following John’s advice, I have managed to successfully bid on a tin of the 100 Utendoerffer Nurnberg alte Kugeln diabolo to go with the Tell. These are yet to arrive but they look like a great looking tin (a good colour) if nothing else.

I will keep a look out for some original Tell pellets (and indeed for any Haenel ones). If I find a cardboard box full I will give you a shout...I might be looking for some time

I wonder such pellets are more common in Germany? Moreover, does anyone know if the pistols sold in the British market varied in terms of packaging/pellets to those sold in Germany?

Best

Olly
    Last edited by wilkinww1; 10-10-2016 at 09:22 AM.

Hi,

Sorry for my delay in responding. Brian I think you are right about the need to branch out and, following John’s advice, I have managed to successfully bid on a tin of the 100 Utendoerffer Nurnberg alte Kugeln diabolo to go with the Tell. These are yet to arrive but they look like a great looking tin (a good colour) if nothing else.

I will keep a look out for some original Tell pellets (and indeed for any Haenel ones). If I find a cardboard box full I will give you a shout...I might be looking for some time

I wonder such pellets are more common in Germany? Moreover, does anyone know if the pistols sold in the British market varied in terms of packaging/pellets to those sold in Germany?

Best

Olly
    Well done Olly. I was hoping you would see those pellets on that auction site. The seller is a real gentleman, so I am sure you will be pleased with them.

That is an interesting question over packaging. I have a feeling some instructions for pistols such as the Haenel 28 were translated for the UK market but not sure if others were. The between the wars UK market was a huge one for many German manufacturers and it would have been worthwhile to translate instructions accompanying pistols.

I suspect pellets such as the Tell ones you are after were included as sample tins and then thrown away once emptied, often alongside the box! Between the wars pellets such as Black Boy slugs or Wasps were supplied in tins of 100 / 200 and therefore would be correct from a contemporary perspective.

Kind regards,

John

Hi,

Best

Olly
    Hi Olly,

Fortunately, I'm more interested in collecting British spring air pistols than German, so finding the correct pellet packaging has been a lot easier. Still, it would be nice if something turned up to accompany the boxed examples that I do have.

Regards

Brian

Tell pellets

Hello

I have a tin of TELL pellets for reference
    I don't know if they are what you are looking for but may help you to track some down.
    There is a rough photo in my thread "any interests" in collectable section
    I will be putting up some better photos over the weekend in the hope that people can provide me with info on some of the more unusual items so will ensure there is a better photo of the TELL pellets.
    Andrew