Thread: Ripley XL9 info

Ripley XL9 info

Hi lads just to ask, I have had quite a few air guns over the years and came across the brand Ripley, Over the years I have seen from time to time some being offered for sale but I have very little knowledge of these guns. The above model I have seen advertised lately but the price ranges so much even with the same model, Some going anything from £450 to £1200 second hand , Even though they have looked very similar I can only think the cheaper ones have been older models, Never hear much spoken about these guns, Good or bad, Anyone on here who can give their input about this make of gun. Thanks

I've never seen a Ripley for sale at 450.

If I had, I would have bought it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Sure it was f-ads . I might be mistaken tho, Anyhow any info on them would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

There is a leftie 177 cal xl9 for £695 in a gun shop on g-trader, sure I seen one cheaper the other day, These may be older models, Anyway any reviews from people on here about these guns.

Ive a ripley ar5s and xl25. Both in .22. Ar5s is single shot, xl25 25 shot. Send me your email address and will send you pics.

I have an XL-9 in .22. General observations.

It's quite heavy - nice walnut (CS500?) stock.

Trigger is very good.

Rotating magazine is a fiddle to use - if the pellets aren't pushed right in they can jam as you swing the magazine back into the breech. Catches me out frequently.

Bolt action/magazine rotation is quite heavy and clunky.

Accuracy is superb.

Noisy without moderator.

My Ripley moderator was a disaster until I dismantled it and opened out the baffles a little (pellet clipping).

Lovely deep blued finish and well put-together.

Not regulated.

Loads of shots on a single fill - must be at least two hundred (fills to over 200 bar).

Not particularly "user-friendly" for home servicing.

Try before you buy! Nice to have, but I don't use it as much as I had expected. Probably due to the weight!

Friend has an AR-5 in .177 (single shot) which is awesome.

Hope this helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Ive a ripley ar5s and xl25. Both in .22. Ar5s is single shot, xl25 25 shot. Send me your email address and will send you pics.
    Ok bud will do , Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    I have an XL-9 in .22. General observations.

It's quite heavy - nice walnut (CS500?) stock.

Trigger is very good.

Rotating magazine is a fiddle to use - if the pellets aren't pushed right in they can jam as you swing the magazine back into the breech. Catches me out frequently.

Bolt action/magazine rotation is quite heavy and clunky.

Accuracy is superb.

Noisy without moderator.

My Ripley moderator was a disaster until I dismantled it and opened out the baffles a little (pellet clipping).

Lovely deep blued finish and well put-together.

Not regulated.

Loads of shots on a single fill - must be at least two hundred (fills to over 200 bar).

Not particularly "user-friendly" for home servicing.

Try before you buy! Nice to have, but I don't use it as much as I had expected. Probably due to the weight!

Friend has an AR-5 in .177 (single shot) which is awesome.

Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks very much for the info above,

Silver Captain Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Thanks very much for the info above,

They are all hand made individual guns if I'm not mistaken, when ordered new they are made to fit the buyer/shooter, bespoke of you like. The engineering is meant to be excellent so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Captain View Post
    They are all hand made individual guns if I'm not mistaken, when ordered new they are made to fit the buyer/shooter, bespoke of you like. The engineering is meant to be excellent so I'm told.
    They do look better quality guns than the rest of the makes. But I ain't seen one in the flesh.

My first FT rifle was the AR5s and i also owned a XL9 for a while. The carbine version is more sought after as they are better handling. The rotary mag is fixed and is tricky to load with jams and pellets falling out if you get it wrong. Also the standard length XL9 plus silencer would almost touch the ground when loading the mag as you need to keep the barrel as low as possible when loading, very heavy rifles.

Build quality on all Rippers is excellent but they are getting rather dated now and i'm not sure whether some models can be serviced easily and if they can the service costs are expensive. The thing i remember most about mine was the stunning trigger and the smoothness of cocking. IMHO, more of a collectors rifle now.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us