Thread: Polymer coated bullets ?

Polymer coated bullets ?

I've seen on the American reloading forums that polymer coated lead bullets are all the rage now. Other than being very brightly coloured they are meant to allow higher velocities without leading and be self-lubricating. So a poor-man's FMJ but can be used on ranges that are 'lead only'.

Has anyone seen these in the UK ?

I've no particular use for them (I don't need higher velocities), but shiny new toys are always welcome so I fancy reloading some

Polymer coating

The H and N "high speed" copper plated bullets have a thin coating of some sort of plastic material which I assume is a polymer.
    These are good to 2400fps, depending on calibre. They certainly stop any fouling from the copper plating. I assume the polymer coated lead bullets have a thicker polymer coating over the lead base.
    Should not get any leading from a well fitting lubed lead bullet....an expert will be along in a moment...

amc577

Essentially the same as moly coated bullets one can get a higher velocity with less pressure .
    ATB
    James

I got a box of these to try from www.shootingsupplies.eu , I only shoot short range comps so didn't see any advantage over the usual lead rounds , unless you don't want to handle lead bullets of course. Yukky gold colour !

I've been powder coating my own for a little while now. It means I can use relatively soft lead up to around 2000fps without any leading.

There were some polymer-coated bullets in 9mm available in the 1980s.

I tried some in my CZ75.

They leaded the bore just as horribly as plain cast lubricated bullets did.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

I have just powder coated my first batch of RCBS 7.62 130 SPL for use in my 300 whisper.
    It was very easy to do - just put bullets in a plastic container and shake until you get an even coat. Then (the fiddly bit) stand them up on a baking tray and put them in the oven at approx 180 C for 15 mins. Drop them into a bucket of water. From what I have been able to gather on the youtube videos they need to be left to cure for a while which I will do for a week. Will then load them up at subsonic without a gas check and see how that works.
    I must admit to be a bit sceptical but will see.