Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: over 40

I found there was a good mix of all ages at my old range but then guess what, the club closed down because of some pathetic dispute.
    It basically put paid to my hobby having very little alternative options but that's another thread.
    I'm betting it also snuffed out a lot of the younger folk's hobby too.
    SMK Z19 .22, BAM B40 .22,
    SMK XS78 .22 PCP, SMK QB78DL .177 PCP &
    AA S410 .177. http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org

Hi, it seems that on the one day I can get to the range then up to now it has been from 40 to 70 plus but the last time we were joined by a stern manored lady, I hadn't seen her before, but the comment by some one who obviously had, was 'It's that bl**dy woman again'. Followed by several more comments.
    She was from a school and had in tow a couple or 3 youngsters with springers, she was Very safety contious and had a grip on the proceedings. The youngsters enjoyed it.
    So perhaps there is hope yet. Good luck to her I say.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    I've been involved in archery, shooting and martial arts for something like 40 years - long before X-box was even thought of. The pattern has always been the same. The youngsters start out with Dad or Mum or because they are doing some sort of award. Most drop out very quickly, although a tiny number stay to become the elite performers. The rest soon discover whatever their personal equivalent is of wine, women and song, not to mention exams and a little later, jobs, families and all that boring stuff and haven't got the time or money for much else. Some have good memories of their time shooting and they come back to the sport either as the Dads and Mums in their 30's/40's or when they retire and have free time.

The important thing is to do our best to get in as many youngsters as possible, either to a club, or to individual shooting and give them a taste and make them feel welcome. Let them know that it is a sport they can come back to: but don't ever think you are going to keep them, and don't blame computer games or social changes - the problem is called growing up!

Alan
    Spot on.