Thread: My New Original Model 5

My New Original Model 5

I went to buy some pellets and ended up with this pistol. It is a 1978 model with the plastic grip . It is in as new condition not a scratch on it.
    I took it to the pistol club tonight and with practice I think that I can do 3/42~1/2" at 10 meters.

It does have a little kick and the muzzle does flip but I expected much worst, back garden plinking is definitely on the cards as it is actually very quiet unlike my HW 45 BlackStar.

The trigger was the surprise as it is a delight, the typical long first stage of the Original/Diana guns of the period, a stop and a predictable crisp release, no creep what so ever and in some ways as good as the trigger on the BlackStar if not better.

I paid quite bit for it as it was in mint condition but I am a happy guy. I have no idea when the last time it was fired was but it did 410ft/s with JSB 8.4grs which I believe is the right power output for this pistol. I wonder if I need to do some mods to guide and the spring in the future but I like to keep the gun in its original condition.

Regards,

A.G

Nice read. They are very fine pistols: best in class I've always thought. They should still be producing them: the LP8 lacks it's good looks at the very least.
    A similar thing happened to me not long ago. Went in for pellets and left with a mint Original 35. Also a '78.Usually those unexpected deals are the most satisfying. Especially uncovering wee gems.

One of my favourite pistols (I have a late 1979s 5G, a grey grip early 1960s 5, a 6G in bits, a 6M, and there's a wood-grip 1950s 5 on the way soon). Possibly the best traditional spring pistol made in any numbers, and much underrated. They are well made and finished, hold well, have a good trigger, and, in LP5 form, have a decent amount of poke, without reaching BSA Scorpion/HW45 levels of recoil and cocking effort.

Hello to All,

I have a 1948 Model 5 & a 5G, and they both shoot superbly. Lovely pistols

It is a shame that they did not keep the wooden stock from the 1948 models, as it is, for me, much more comfortable than the 5Gs grips.

The wooden grips are also much trimmer than the 'military gripped' 5s from the 1960s/1970s.

Grips are like here :

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...sassembly.html

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Just rebuilt one of these this week, it had been abused a bit by the previous owner. Was amazed at the huge rifle size spring that it can accommodate. One thing I would do if I owned one is to replace the heavy "mainspring bearing" with a Delrin one. If you do not make your own piston seals they are expensive to service as you are talking of over £30 for seal and spring which is a third of gun value. Had problem getting the cap threads to line up using the sash cramp with the heavy spring preload, but eventually prevailed. Found it harder to re-assemble than the Model 6 ! Any tips on lining up the back cap threads ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    When I've worked on these I use a liberally greased 2p coin between the end cap and the sash clamp to act as a bearing so it's easier to screw back on.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Managed to buy one off a nice chap off here this week. Mines dated 1969 with the brown grip. It shoots as good as I remembered when I last owned one 35years ago!!! I'm toying whether to strip down but as its doing 400fps in .177 and very smooth I might leave it. Got the box and plastic lid aswell which is always a Brucy bonus which has helped it stay tip top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    When I've worked on these I use a liberally greased 2p coin between the end cap and the sash clamp to act as a bearing so it's easier to screw back on.
    To do that I would use something smoother like a large flat washer, but the problem was the angle the cap needed to catch the thread start on the pistol body. You just gave me an idea, to use a much smaller contact point between the cramp and cap so I can get it to mate up at the angle it needs to start.

Thanks, Baz

Thank you for all your replies. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks that these pistols are superb shooting machines. Mine is actually a lot easier to shoot than my HW 45 which if cocked fully is a handful of a pistol to shoot. Both are a lot of fun though.
    I was tinkering with the idea of making a custom wooden grip for this little beauty. Perhaps a salt and pepper laminate but I guess that they are true classics and should not be messed with.

Regards,

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Thank you for all your replies. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks that these pistols are superb shooting machines. Mine is actually a lot easier to shoot than my HW 45 which if cocked fully is a handful of a pistol to shoot. Both are a lot of fun though.
    I was tinkering with the idea of making a custom wooden grip for this little beauty. Perhaps a salt and pepper laminate but I guess that they are true classics and should not be messed with.

Regards,

A.G
    Making another grip is not messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Making another grip is not messing with it.
    I know but I am sure that you know what I mean.

A.G

I know but I am sure that you know what I mean.

A.G
    Unless you go as far as this guy with his model 5....

http://i.imgur.com/GBmN7sk.jpg

Regards,

A.G
    A sympathetic reproduction WOOD STOCK in the 'original' (pun intended) style could be a worthwhile project

When i was ten years old I bought off my next door neighbour, who was 15 at the time, an Original mod 5. It went missing around 12 years ago and i was seriously narked. It was a Grey handled one pre 1970 and ive been looking for one. Then i found some brown ones and i bought them and now i have a grey model 5 and a grey model 6. Great pistols abd lifes good again. Typically ive paid around £140 for them. They are worth every penny.

Cheers