Thread: Original 10M

Original 10M

Hi, I have a problem with my Original mod 10M. The sear doesn't latch and hold. It's just been resealed, but while apart some of the trigger mech parts may have been incorrectly reassembled. It's not an adjustment issue and apparently nothing was worn. It breaks and seems to cock as normal, the sear engages but when the spring pressure is taken by the sear it lets go. I took off the grips and shroud and nothing (in my limited experiance) seems out of place or missing. All the parts and pins etc of the trigger and anti bear trap are present and in the correct position to the diagram. This model does have a lot of moving parts and it's a bit beyond me! Does any one have any experience /knowledge of the Mod10. Or could perhaps recommend a company/gunsmith that could go through this gun and sort what I'm sure is something fairly simple. Also just noticed, if I hold and cock the gun upside down? it does hold on the sear ond the trigger operates. But only releases intermitantly when pulled! Any advice would be apreceiated. Thanks John.
    Last edited by Joncaddy; 30-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Ooof, I'm sure there are others, but if it were me, I'd ask Dave Price (Wonky Donkey on here) if he works on such as the Mod 10.

He's very good with match guns.

Original model 10

Hi, Dave mercer DM80 on here is the man for the original giss guns.

The Model 10 has a lot of parts in the trigger setup, beats me why they did it this way as the Model 6 range has a very simple trigger and works beautifully. I recommend taking a few close up pics of any trigger group before stripping, as this should stop any mistakes being made when putting bits back in the right configuration. Perhaps someone could email you pics of their assembled pistol with the grips removed. A local RFD gave me a model 10 in a bag of bits that a gunsmith could not re-assemble.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Joncaddy,

As a last resort have you tried screwing out the large screw in the bottom of the trigger a few turns and see if it is less bad ?

(Mine protudes by about 4mm)

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Original mod 10

Thanks for the advice guys. PhatMan I did try the screw at approx 4mm as you described, but it made no difference. The only way I can get it to hold on the sear is to cock it held upside down?? It then holds but only fires intermittently when the trigger is pulled. Seems like perhaps a spring is missing, but according to the parts diagram everything is there. Have been in contact with one of the recommended 'giss guru's' so might be able to get it fixed. John
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

John,

Perhaps you could start a new trend in upside-down pistol shooting!

I am sure one of the Giss-Gurus will get it sorted

I really, really enjoy shooting my Model 10.

Oddly, despite the complexity, the Model 10 trigger works in the same fashion as the Diana/Original 5 & 6 triggers - the large trigger screw has a ball bearing at the end, with an internal spring, just like the 5 & 6.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Update on Model 10

After contacting DM10 as advised, I was about to send the gun off to him. But I decided I now had nothing to loose and have another look myself. So yet again it came apart, reassembled, no change. Disassembled again, studied and reassembled, amazingly now working, and working well until it went off just as I closed the barrel and shot myself in the hand! Lots of blood but not that bad😂 Gun now not working again!!! By now I just want to throw it in the bin. Oh well i will have to send to DM80 now. But after a few hours of hand hurting and more thinking I realized it must be a spring issue of some sort if it did work upside down. So strip again and examined all parts again, I noticed the trigger latch didn't seem to have a smooth machined end on it, and under a magnifying grass it showed a broken tip. This tip is where the latch spring is supposed to locate, but as you refit the trigger guard assembly it becomes impossible to see if the spring has actually fully or only partially located. Some times it was locating enough on the broken end to operate other times missing it completely. Hence working upside down as gravity assisted the catch to work. Today I ordered the part required from Chambers and should be back in full working order fairly soon. My hand may take a little longer! John.

Ouch. I bet you really didn't want to do that.

mod 10 update.

Well I ordered the part (trigger latch) from Chambers late morning yesterday, it turned up at 10 am today. Excellent service. So took the gun apart again and fitted the new latch. With trepidation I cocked and loaded the gun, it worked perfectly! Yey success at last, first time I've shot it properly as I bought it few months ago needing seals. Very accurate, fantastic trigger and zero recoil. But on reflection I think I prefer my Original 6. just seems easier to use. Hand not hurting as much now either!!

Well done on diagnosing and fixing the problem, shows true grit! Great pity about your hand, I always keep my hand away from the muzzle when closing up on the Mod 6, though it can be awkward to get the leverage on the rather short barrel. Is it the rotating barrel sleeve that complicates the process on the 10M?

Quote Originally Posted by Joncaddy View Post
    Well I ordered the part (trigger latch) from Chambers late morning yesterday, it turned up at 10 am today. Excellent service. So took the gun apart again and fitted the new latch. With trepidation I cocked and loaded the gun, it worked perfectly! Yey success at last, first time I've shot it properly as I bought it few months ago needing seals. Very accurate, fantastic trigger and zero recoil. But on reflection I think I prefer my Original 6. just seems easier to use. Hand not hurting as much now either!!
    So, you'll be wanting to sell it then?