Thread: Early walther lg advice needed please

Early walther lg advice needed please

I've just dismantled an early Walther LG ready for re-blueing and need a bit of advice please. As this is a 10 mtr rifle I was very surprised at the amount of pre-load on the main spring, I wasn't expecting it and I'm thinking this can't be right on this gun ? One end of the spring is not ground flat so I assume this is not the original Walther spring. Do these low power Walthers have a huge amount of pre-load and if not who can I get the correct spring from ? The seal/washer looks fairly new and is red synthetic whereas I thought the originals were leather, have I got this wrong ? The other thing is that the piston was so tight in the cylinder I had to remove it with the help of a brass drift and hammer so I would also like to know whether the rule of thumb I've always used with springer rebuilds applies to these Walther's as well which is that the washer/seal should be sanded just enough so that when fitted to the piston it should be able to drop down the cylinder slowly under it's own weight, is this correct ? Thanks, any advice appreciated.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

If it is the LG 55, I put a new spring and piston seal in one. Is it the parachute type seal fitted to the steel adapter that locks into the piston head ? This should be a sliding fit in the chamber and need very little help to push down the tube with a tiny bit of grease on it. The spring I used was for the HW 55 but I can't remember if I had to remove a couple of coils and re-flatten the end. Being a heavier spring I had to take a few thou off the diameter of the top hat spring guide. Thinking of selling my lovely Walther LG 55 T.

Regards, Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

vbull,

Your experience sounds just like this chappies :

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...w-detours.html

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    vbull,

Your experience sounds just like this chappies :

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...w-detours.html

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Thats the old fashioned seal design. You can get a nice fitting modern replacement from Chambers, with the metal fitting but about £28.

Baz

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24940/LG-55/

Russ, that's the same seal I have, seems like he had the same experience as me, surely they weren't this tight in the chamber from new, must be just coincidence. How was yours Barry, you have to force the piston out the chamber as well ? Also barry, when you replaced the spring did you notice a lot of pre-load ?

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Russ, that's the same seal I have, seems like he had the same experience as me, surely they weren't this tight in the chamber from new, must be just coincidence. How was yours Barry, you have to force the piston out the chamber as well ? Also barry, when you replaced the spring did you notice a lot of pre-load ?
    The seals are ok when fitted new but nylons (polyamide) and polyurethane like NDI absorb moisture even from oil especially in humid conditions and expand so that they seize in the bore. You do not usually get this problem with other polyurethanes like TDI and MDI which are most common for piston seals today. The old seal in mine was lose and had turned to cheese.The new seal is a brilliant fit, and I think the spring preload was about one and half inches. These rifles do not put out a lot of power but are lovely to shoot.

Baz

hi ive a 55 no preload on spring made my own leather seal but a 25mm for anything should work...
    vortek do a seal or o ring conversion for less than chambers and they list a specific spring for it
    or gotha in germany have original springs....
    got a 53 in bits to reblue leather seal in bits so will make another but will try a o ring later today
    spring also no pre load length 220 od 20 ID 14.2 thickness 2.8 i guess these would have been under 7.5 lbs back in the day
    cheers ian

Thanks Ian, useful info. I thought it was a bit odd to have the preload I found on this gun.

Who's going to do the re-blue Ian ?

Cool

me.......