Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age old question: what's the best moderator/silencer?

Age old question: what's the best moderator/silencer?

I have a Deben whisper 150 on a BSA Ultra SE .177 and was wondering of there are any sites or charts with comparable information on all the moderators? I would like to see if I can get something quieter but it's an expensive gamble to find out it's not.

The 'Weihrauch' silencer is the considered benchmark for air rifles. Though like everything else you pay your money & make a choice. The smaller silencers such as the 'Swift Stumpy' & 'Hugget Belita' are ok, but if you like to shoot in the back garden the Weihrauch is hard to beat.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Mod

Nutshot original or a good clone.
    HW
    Hog/Decimeter.
    In that order ...that is what I have found.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I rate the deben silencers, so wouldn't hurry to swap. The hw's are a bit too long for me

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I have a Deben whisper 150 on a BSA Ultra SE .177 and was wondering of there are any sites or charts with comparable information on all the moderators? I would like to see if I can get something quieter but it's an expensive gamble to find out it's not.
    A PCP sub 12 with any decent silencer is almost inaudible to quarry beyond 20 yards. The noise is more from the action than the moderated escaping air.

A.G

Ive found HW the best.

There is a world of difference between sub 12 and FAC air moderators.
    For sub 12 any quality moderator will be fine. Personally I use the HW, Huggett or Twink depending on barrel fitment.
    For FAC air my requirements are much more demanding. I use the Huggett, Twink or UK Neil modified Evo/Vortex moderators. The HW is truly excellent in sub 12 rigs but not perhaps as robust in higher powered rifles. The Nutshot silencers are superb and one of these days I'll treat myself to one. In the meantime if anyone has a Rob Lane kicking around not in use, please send me a message!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    Just like pellets, something might work better on one rifle than another.

Personally I've always found the standard Weihrauch HW to be best, I even used one on my FAC Rapid for a few years & it was better than any others & I tried best part of a dozen inc a custom made carbon that cost 4x as much as the HW.

Another vote for the HW mod fantastic bit of kit for the money, and suits most rifles. A friend at the range had a daystate with one of the carbon reflex silencers he wasn't happy how it was grouping so asked to try my HW, it was quieter and better groups lol he wasn't best pleased.

Love my Huggett. It's whisper quiet, but I have to say that the performance of the weihrach is at least as good for a fraction of the price.
    AA S400 carbine in .177 Walnut stock, Rowan multi shot conversion, Rowan trigger, Huggett mod. MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44.
    Refurbished 1986 BSA Supersport .22 with MWSS custom silencer.

If money is no object then the custom made back sleeve and screw is inaudible even in FAC, but the HW wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I was just thinking the same.

The quietest I've ever heard is an HW mod on my daughters Goldstar se. Also, the A&M Marksman works very well on my HW100.

All of the above.

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    My vote goes to the bog standard HW mod, sub 12 fpe or FAC.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I rate the deben silencers, so wouldn't hurry to swap. The hw's are a bit too long for me
    Depends which one you use ,if you use the 180 then it's the same length as the HW but if you use a 130 then it is shorter and not as quiet as a HW .
    I have tried most mod from proper ones to the home brew ones and the HW is still one of the best . I have a shroud silencer made for my BSA ultra by airtech (carl) and that is just as quiet as HW mod

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Personally I've always found the standard Weihrauch HW to be best, I even used one on my FAC Rapid for a few years & it was better than any others & I tried best part of a dozen inc a custom made carbon that cost 4x as much as the HW.
    As above, I have a silencer here that makes my mk2 pheonix near silent yet it makes hardy any difference on my air ranger even tho both are 177 ,