Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloaded rounds - entry on FAC?

Reloaded rounds - entry on FAC?

Good morning.
    During a recent conversation with some fellow shooters it was suggested that reloaded rounds could (should?) be entered on your FAC. I have never done so, but keep a separate log of rounds made up/shot/balance held. The only entries on my FAC are for rounds purchased from RFD or club.
    I suppose, then, the question is whether entering reloads on the FAC would be a convenient way of showing usage (although lack of space might become an issue!)?
    Any thoughts Gents?

Normal rule is: you don't enter anything on your own certificate.
    Does One transfer ammunition, made from components which one already owns, to oneself?????
    (as with everything, there is the odd exception to the rule).
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Normal rule is: you don't enter anything on your own certificate.
    Does One transfer ammunition, made from components which one already owns, to oneself?????
    (as with everything, there is the odd exception to the rule).
    My understanding is similar. Always worth asking though!

There's more that enough rules and regulations that we have to worry about without adding more voluntarily.

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    There's more that enough rules and regulations that we have to worry about without adding more voluntarily.
    Exactly, put them in your rifle and shoot them.

There is no requirement to enter reloaded ammo on your fac , don't give them another rod to beat us with.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Yes - I quite agree. I wasn't suggesting that we should add any more voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    Exactly, put them in your rifle and shoot them.
    That's precisely what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    There is no requirement to enter reloaded ammo on your fac , don't give them another rod to beat us with.
    I wasn't suggesting offering anybody a rod - just asking a question that arose during a conversation recently.

Thanks for the responses - they have been very helpful as always.

Surely when you buy the bullets the RFD enters them on your ticket ? mine always does precisely so that I do have a record of usage.

Mind you I only ever buy expanding bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Surely when you buy the bullets the RFD enters them on your ticket ? mine always does precisely so that I do have a record of usage.

Mind you I only ever buy expanding bullets.
    No, only the expanding is put on the ticket (with me anyway). No restriction on non-expanding fortunately!

so do you have to notify your local plod if you reload ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZaksGod View Post
    so do you have to notify your local plod if you reload ?
    Not at all. I just choose to keep my own record of what, where and when I've reloaded and shot. I always offer to show it to the FEO but it's never been asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Not at all. I just choose to keep my own record of what, where and when I've reloaded and shot. I always offer to show it to the FEO but it's never been asked for.
    on my last renewal, the FEO got a bit snotty about logging shots fired as I reload the bulk of my centrefire ammo, I do keep a log of my reloading, as much for my info as anything else, I suspect this will become a recurring theme with the licencing offices trying to extend their control (even though most of them can't handle their workload as it is without adding more!) but as I never had a home visit I was unable to show him my notebook with its lovingly inscribed pages
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I always just keep all my old primers in a screw top jam jar. Never been asked to see them though.

In theory you are covered by other logs.

If you are reloading expanding then they are now (used to be by county) logged on your ticket. Problem is you might only buy 100 bullets every few years. How many deer can one 'normal' man shoot?

And if its target ammo then every time you shoot with a club you should record on the club log that you have shot which rifles. Its not the number of rounds shot, but the times you have shot it.

Now if you are using target rounds to shoot vermin it won't be recorded anywhere. Or if you only go to ranges as an individual then it won't be logged (If you are an NRA member you can log the usage with their computerised system).

And to be honest, just because you have rounds entered on your ticket doesn't mean you've shot the rifle

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    As already said, you should not enter reloaded rounds on your FAC.

Comes then the problem of justifying how many rounds you have permission for on your FAC. It is good practice (but not required) to keep a log of what you have reloaded (also handy for load development) and this could be used as justification for how many rounds you need to hold. You could also keep receipts for powder/primers/bullets (but I don't bother) as a crude indication of consumption. I have been reloading for at least 30 years and I do keep a log (notebook stored on my reloading bench) and I have had absolutely no problems from several different FEOs. I have also found that I don't need to hold a great deal of ammo anyway - who is going to bother to make up 1000 rounds unless attending a shooting fest.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL