Thread: Airsporter MkII

Airsporter MkII

I picked up a second MkII today, the upper one in the first pic and right one in the second pic.
    It needs a folding rear sight and needed lots black paint removing which was surprisingly easy.
    The pair are wearing each others stocks at the moment, don't know why I did that but they will be swapped back.
    New one is a GE serial with a full scope rail while the other one is a GD serial with the twin short rails, I assume this is all correct.
    The brass joint between barrel and cylinder (just visible in pic 1) was a surprise though as the older one is not like this.
    Best get the Hillier book out!

Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Mk2 folding rear sight for sale on E-bay at the moment, complete for £45 + postage or offers.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I picked up a second MkII today, the upper one in the first pic and right one in the second pic.
    It needs a folding rear sight and needed lots black paint removing which was surprisingly easy.
    The pair are wearing each others stocks at the moment, don't know why I did that but they will be swapped back.
    New one is a GE serial with a full scope rail while the other one is a GD serial with the twin short rails, I assume this is all correct.
    The brass joint between barrel and cylinder (just visible in pic 1) was a surprise though as the older one is not like this.
    Best get the Hillier book out!

Can't really see that, but isn't it brazing?

P.S. These guns deserve to be given a second lease of life. Nice to see that you are doing that.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Mk2 folding rear sight for sale on E-bay at the moment, complete for £45 + postage or offers.

ASM
    £35 new from John Knibbs.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    £35 new from John Knibbs.
    That's interesting. They are not the original item, where elevation is adjusted by loosening two clamping screws and moving the reversible plate up or down as required. Nor does the original item have that white diamond on it. Nevertheless they look good and if they fit and get an old 'Sporter shooting again, they are just the job.

I recall there is a place in the 'States (Track of the Wolf) which sells rearsights very similar to the original Mk. 2 ones, although I thought someone had said that the dovetail dimensions were not quite correct.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I'd seen the Knibbs part and assumed like most parts that it's an aftermarket copy, which usually isn't quite right and also would be nearly half of what I paid for the gun!
    I'm in no hurry to finish it so will see what turns up.
    The other one also came with no rear sight but I got one before so hoping to find another.
    As for the brazed joint still hoping someone has an explanation it does look a little below BSA standard workmanship and there is no sign of brass on the other one. Almost like someone took it apart and then re joined it again?
    Where's John Milewski? he know's stuff
    Steve

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I'd seen the Knibbs part and assumed like most parts that it's an aftermarket copy, which usually isn't quite right and also would be nearly half of what I paid for the gun!
    I'm in no hurry to finish it so will see what turns up.
    The other one also came with no rear sight but I got one before so hoping to find another.
    As for the brazed joint still hoping someone has an explanation it does look a little below BSA standard workmanship and there is no sign of brass on the other one. Almost like someone took it apart and then re joined it again?
    Where's John Milewski? he know's stuff
    The MkII I used to own also exhibited the visible brazing at the barrel/cylinder join. IIRC, though< I never noticed it until I had the rifle reblued. Has yours been refinished at some point? Mine was also one of the later ones with the long scope grooves.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    That's interesting. They are not the original item, where elevation is adjusted by loosening two clamping screws and moving the reversible plate up or down as required. Nor does the original item have that white diamond on it. Nevertheless they look good and if they fit and get an old 'Sporter shooting again, they are just the job.

I recall there is a place in the 'States (Track of the Wolf) which sells rearsights very similar to the original Mk. 2 ones, although I thought someone had said that the dovetail dimensions were not quite correct.
    Yes, the sights from the States which are very similar to the Mk2 have a slightly different width dovetail size

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Yes, the sights from the States which are very similar to the Mk2 have a slightly different width dovetail size
    A great pity - they're only $17.99.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

The MkII I used to own also exhibited the visible brazing at the barrel/cylinder join. IIRC, though< I never noticed it until I had the rifle reblued. Has yours been refinished at some point? Mine was also one of the later ones with the long scope grooves.

Someone had made a poor effort at re-bluing but that was hidden under the black paint as was the brass bit.
    Once that was all off by scrubbing with paint thinners the bluing was evident but that's mostly washed away too now and it's back to it's pre bodged state and looks nice and better by far showing it wear and tear and life story.

Maybe the barrel and cylinder were joined by brazing but I'm surprised bluing would hide the contrast in the metals. No sign of brass in my earlier one as the joint is super tight with no gap and so is my Mk1.

The stock has a bit of cracking but still strong, it now looks a nice old honest gun.

Shame this is a later 2 with the long scope rail as I prefer the earlier version but this way I have two Mk2 variations.
    Steve