Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSA spitfire info

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    From the info that JB sent through to the fanpage the Spitfire was untended as a companion to the S10. At the time of lanch of the SF gunshops didnt have compressors or offer refills so many S10 owners had several spare bottles and relied on friendly dive centres. When used together a buddy bottle top up with the pressure indicator/bleed valve working correctly gave results embarrassing its peer in the range It sounds like your Firebird is a typical "transient charge" factory job
    Thanks for the clarification regarding my Firebird ldwink,so if my cylinder is a transient charge type,would it be possible to change it for a good one ?. The Firebird was launched after the Spitfire I think,but can’t remember how long after.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Thanks for the clarification regarding my Firebird ldwink,so if my cylinder is a transient charge type,would it be possible to change it for a good one ?. The Firebird was launched after the Spitfire I think,but can’t remember how long after.
    Atb
    Les..
    The transient charge thingy was a BSA excuse, see my oher thread, for it leaking over a few days down to mistakes they made. I have no idea if it is still possible to get the cylinders as a spare. Check with Chambers, or Knibbs if you are feeling flush. It just one of many things JB sorts and improves when he services and upgrades them. He also works on the trigger and barrel. I will try to find out when the Firebird was launched. JB was asked to do a fixed barrel version of the Spitfire (Firebird) for target shooters who wanted to use long scopes that were popular then but didnt work with the breakbarrel Spit.

The transient charge thingy was a BSA excuse, see my oher thread, for it leaking over a few days down to mistakes they made. I have no idea if it is still possible to get the cylinders as a spare. Check with Chambers, or Knibbs if you are feeling flush. It just one of many things JB sorts and improves when he services and upgrades them. He also works on the trigger and barrel. I will try to find out when the Firebird was launched. JB was asked to do a fixed barrel version of the Spitfire (Firebird) for target shooters who wanted to use long scopes that were popular then but didnt work with the breakbarrel Spit.
    Thanks for the info.
    If JB can sort out the leak and transient misgivings,I’ll get him to sort it out for me.
    Atb
    Les.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    If JB can sort out the leak and transient misgivings,I’ll get him to sort it out for me.
    Atb
    Les.
    I don't think you will be disapointed Les
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

They are quite easy to repair but to be honest the overall design is rubbish they weren't efficient and reliability was dismal but at least they had a meteor barrel so were quite accurate

Dave.

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I love my Spitfire.
    This was my first airgun, got it new for my 18th bday in 2005. .177 full length barrel, one hole groups at my 35 meter range.
    John blueprinted it a few years ago when I lived in Devon. Still working great.
    I'm getting 60 very consistent shots per fill with the buddy bottle at 11.2 ft/lbs. As greenwayjames writes, very handy to have a buddy bottle in the Barbour pocket.
    I also have a HF. The buddy bottle charging with the clever pressure indicator suits me better.
    I had two Firebirds, great too, Ped has my .20 barrel now.
    But I often forgot to close the sliding breech cover and prefer the even greater simplicity of the Spitfire.
    For servicing: send to John 100%. It's worth every penny. I have resealed a few, yes it can be done, but you often still have a slow leak and this is not the case after the gun has been to John.

Cheers

Hi Louis

Hope you're well, you didn't say that they need to be used regularly to prevent the seals leaking.

Haydn

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    They are quite easy to repair but to be honest the overall design is rubbish they weren't efficient and reliability was dismal but at least they had a meteor barrel so were quite accurate

Dave.
    I have always liked my Spitfire,it’s been totally reliable and as held it’s charge for the 7+ years that I’ve owned it.
    And it’s as accurate as any other pcp gun that I have.
    They are definitely different,that is what I like about them.
    Unfortunately my Firebird does have a slow leak,that I’m hoping to sort it out some time in the future.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

Dave.

That says more about the poster than the rifle. Sad really

Unpopular

I asked about these when they were just out at one the shops in Gloucester as really taken by them I's was .
    Got back some dribble about not worth having them in their shop !
    Fast forward a decade and a bit , last time I looked they had one in , used at £££££££

Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Hi Louis

Hope you're well, you didn't say that they need to be used regularly to prevent the seals leaking.

Haydn
    Hi Haydn,

Good point, thank you!
    It is best to use Spitties and Firebirds regularly. Dry firing a few times a month helps too.
    I am very well by the way, thank you. I hope you are keeping well too.
    Here is a shot string I did this afternoon with the great boxed HF I bought from you.
    About 10 ft/lbs with 15.89 gr JSB's. Upping the power is very easy on these (I shan't say no more ) but I like the high shot count at this power level.
    Quite a consistent gun. End pressure was about 60 bar.

Cheers

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    I recognise that box! Glad the rifles's working out well for you, I might get another one day.

That says more about the poster than the rifle. Sad really

What do you mean by that remark?

Dave.

I took my Spitties out again last Sunday.
    They are such good guns.

The .22 with a scope enhancer. First time I used one. It does enhance the view a lot.

And a detail of the .177, my pride and joy. The buddy bottle charging and pressure indicator are just genius, in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I took my Spitties out again last Sunday.
    They are such good guns.

The .22 with a scope enhancer. First time I used one. It does enhance the view a lot.

And a detail of the .177, my pride and joy. The buddy bottle charging and pressure indicator are just genius, in my view.

JB services and upgrades a great many Spitfires and tells me he is surprised how few dont even know what the pressure relief valve/shot indicator is or how to make the most of the SF Spitfire by using it correctly. By doing that it takes the Spitfire experience to another level

spitfire

iv'e just bought a spitfire, i think its the old type, i cant see a shot count indicator anywhere on mine?