Thread: BSA spitfire info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA spitfire info

Hi I don't see these very often but a couple have popped up lately, Just to ask as I did hear these were a bugger to strip and service, Anyone on here who may be able to give some advice on these guns please. Thanks

The general opinion is to send them back to Mr J Bowkett as he has all the necessary jigs etc. I'm just hoping mine doesn't go wrong; it's one of the early ones not the hi-fill type, and all I've done is to replace the breech seal which is a generic BSA type.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Hi I don't see these very often but a couple have popped up lately, Just to ask as I did hear these were a bugger to strip and service, Anyone on here who may be able to give some advice on these guns please. Thanks
    Might have something to do with them been part pcp part brake barrel, I remember the old gun shop in Doncaster, the old owner swore blind that they were normal brake barrels, he was adamant they were normal springers even after I asked him why they came with little pre charged bottles
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks for the reply's , Do they suffer with any issues at all, Saying that I sort of mean any common faults, Even tho I am thinking of going back to more springers than pcp I sort of think the spitfire is very much in between in a sort of way,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Thanks for the reply's , Do they suffer with any issues at all, Saying that I sort of mean any common faults, Even tho I am thinking of going back to more springers than pcp I sort of think the spitfire is very much in between in a sort of way,
    The only fault that I had was a leak, and this is caused by not using the rifle regularly. If you shoot it once a month and top up the air there should be no problem. Leaving the rifle stored for months you will probably get a leak. On the the positive side they are an accurate easy to handle rifle, and were once used by teams for target shooting with long .177 barrel and target sights. They also very easy to keep at the correct power level by the owner with a tiny allen key.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The only fault that I had was a leak, and this is caused by not using the rifle regularly. If you shoot it once a month and top up the air there should be no problem. Leaving the rifle stored for months you will probably get a leak. On the the positive side they are an accurate easy to handle rifle, and were once used by teams for target shooting with long .177 barrel and target sights. They also very easy to keep at the correct power level by the owner with a tiny allen key.

Baz
    Ah thanks for that , just the sort of info I was looking for.

If you can get the Firebird version, these are very handy as the barrels change very easily by loosening two allen screws so you can have a complete range of calibres on one rifle.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Might have something to do with them been part pcp part brake barrel, I remember the old gun shop in Doncaster, the old owner swore blind that they were normal brake barrels, he was adamant they were normal springers even after I asked him why they came with little pre charged bottles
    Roman Trent?
    snarepeg.