Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSA spitfire info

i have a .20 and a .22 for my firebird
    i have a spare .25 silco blank that may get machined to fit

The manual skill required to dismantle/assemble is blindingly simple with these. There is the odd trap but nothing common sense approach to high stored pressure can't handle. The tricky, for me, bits are getting a good sliding seal at the hammer end and setting valve rod length for correct muzzle energy.
    Neither particularly difficult. As said by others a joy to shoot. The SF is .177 and Firebird .22.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    The manual skill required to dismantle/assemble is blindingly simple with these. There is the odd trap but nothing common sense approach to high stored pressure can't handle. The tricky, for me, bits are getting a good sliding seal at the hammer end and setting valve rod length for correct muzzle energy.
    Neither particularly difficult. As said by others a joy to shoot. The SF is .177 and Firebird .22.

To get the best out of the Spitfire SF its best to use the pressure relief valve/shot indicator in conjunction with a small buddy bottle as was originally intended otherwise shot count is low. Its very easy to get through bucketfulls of pellets with the Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    To get the best out of the Spitfire SF its best to use the pressure relief valve/shot indicator in conjunction with a small buddy bottle as was originally intended otherwise shot count is low. Its very easy to get through bucketfulls of pellets with the Spitfire
    Or a simple pump giving infinite count

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Or a simple pump giving infinite count

A pump is ideal for the HF version. Buddy bottle and pump gives more practical infinite shot count. A BSA buddy bottle fits most pockets better than a pump does

My original post was posted a while back, Mine has now gone but just to update in that I have found with home servicing these guns, It's like anything else ,when u know it's an easy fix, I never got that far but there does seem to be quite a few who can now strip, service these bsa PCP rifles,

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Might have something to do with them been part pcp part brake barrel, I remember the old gun shop in Doncaster, the old owner swore blind that they were normal brake barrels, he was adamant they were normal springers even after I asked him why they came with little pre charged bottles
    Roman Trent?
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    My original post was posted a while back, Mine has now gone but just to update in that I have found with home servicing these guns, It's like anything else ,when u know it's an easy fix, I never got that far but there does seem to be quite a few who can now strip, service these bsa PCP rifles,
    I have a Firebird that I want to service,I’ve always been put off doing a diy service because a special jig was needed for reassembley?.
    My Spitfire sf has always been very reliable and holds pressure no problem.A very underrated gun in my opinion.
    Les..

I love my Spitfire.
    This was my first airgun, got it new for my 18th bday in 2005. .177 full length barrel, one hole groups at my 35 meter range.
    John blueprinted it a few years ago when I lived in Devon. Still working great.
    I'm getting 60 very consistent shots per fill with the buddy bottle at 11.2 ft/lbs. As greenwayjames writes, very handy to have a buddy bottle in the Barbour pocket.
    I also have a HF. The buddy bottle charging with the clever pressure indicator suits me better.
    I had two Firebirds, great too, Ped has my .20 barrel now.
    But I often forgot to close the sliding breech cover and prefer the even greater simplicity of the Spitfire.
    For servicing: send to John 100%. It's worth every penny. I have resealed a few, yes it can be done, but you often still have a slow leak and this is not the case after the gun has been to John.

Cheers

Last edited by jirushi; 24-11-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Great stuff chaps.

This thread is excellent timing.

I’ve recently bought a Spitfire SF project gun from premierpistol I think it was originally one of your old ones Louis?

I’m currently awaiting an adapter so I can use my pump in the interim whilst I get the project started.

I’ve read that much info about them and done a fair bit of homework and have also tapped into others with knowledge.

I missed these first time round when they were released as at the time I was still rocking rapids and had no need to look elsewhere.

However the spitfire has been on my itch list for quite sometime hence I jumped at the chance to bag one.

So far I will confess it feels so wrong but yet maybe so right

I’m no stranger to pcp’s especially BSA’s having played the field for years including servicing and customising anything I own etc

I’m going to give my spitfire a whirl the diy route as there’s no fun in getting someone else to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Great stuff chaps.

This thread is excellent timing.

I’ve recently bought a Spitfire SF project gun from premierpistol I think it was originally one of your old ones Louis?

I’m currently awaiting an adapter so I can use my pump in the interim whilst I get the project started.

I’ve read that much info about them and done a fair bit of homework and have also tapped into others with knowledge.

I missed these first time round when they were released as at the time I was still rocking rapids and had no need to look elsewhere.

However the spitfire has been on my itch list for quite sometime hence I jumped at the chance to bag one.

So far I will confess it feels so wrong but yet maybe so right

I’m no stranger to pcp’s especially BSA’s having played the field for years including servicing and customising anything I own etc

I’m going to give my spitfire a whirl the diy route as there’s no fun in getting someone else to fix it.
    Hi, yes that's right. I hope you'll be able to make it work.
    Otherwise I think it's about 125 for a JB blueprint. But I understand you want to try it yourself first.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Hi, yes that's right. I hope you'll be able to make it work.
    Otherwise I think it's about 125 for a JB blueprint. But I understand you want to try it yourself first.
    Cheers
    Cheers Louis,

I shall give it a damn good go

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I have a Firebird that I want to service,I’ve always been put off doing a diy service because a special jig was needed for reassembley?.
    My Spitfire sf has always been very reliable and holds pressure no problem.A very underrated gun in my opinion.
    Les..
    Do you use the shot indicator/pressure relief valve?
    I think the special jig is an internet myth. Repeated a few times and then it becomes a "fact".

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Do you use the shot indicator/pressure relief valve?
    I think the special jig is an internet myth. Repeated a few times and then it becomes a "fact".
    My firebird is a standard fill with indicator/pressure relief valve.
    I use the s10 buddy bottle to fill it up,the same as on my Spitfire.
    The Spitfire holds pressure indefinitely,the Firebird leaks pressure and is empty with in a couple of days.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    My firebird is a standard fill with indicator/pressure relief valve.
    I use the s10 buddy bottle to fill it up,the same as on my Spitfire.
    The Spitfire holds pressure indefinitely,the Firebird leaks pressure and is empty with in a couple of days.
    Les..
    From the info that JB sent through to the fanpage the Spitfire was untended as a companion to the S10. At the time of lanch of the SF gunshops didnt have compressors or offer refills so many S10 owners had several spare bottles and relied on friendly dive centres. When used together a buddy bottle top up with the pressure indicator/bleed valve working correctly gave results embarrassing its peer in the range It sounds like your Firebird is a typical "transient charge" factory job