Thread: Red dot pistol sight advice wanted.

Red dot pistol sight advice wanted.

Greetings all,

As my eyesight is not as it was, I am having difficulty with open pistol sights and I'm considering the red dot option.

Any thoughts, recommendations or do-nots are most welcome.

n.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

The Hawke 1x25 RD is an excellent bit of kit - highly recommended...

+1 for the RD25.

Larger tubes available (RD30 etc...) but adds weight/bulk.

Some folk prefer the holographic type of red dot.

The RD25 (and alike) can be used on an SSP overlever (e.g. HW40). Other designs with a single small mount may not be such a solid fit.

make sure you go for a small dot that means 3 moa or lower. an hawk rd25 i think is 3 moa, i had one on a pistol i purchased and the dot was the size of a pea.

red dot sight.

Hi, I bought a very cheap (£12.99) red/green dot sight off the favorite web site! To try on my Browning Buckmark URX .(Weaver type rail) Wasn't expecting much for that price, but pleasantly surprised. It's the small square tv screen type. Unbranded, but quite well made (aluminium) 12 brightness settings red/green. Even came in a nice box with good instructions and Allen keys and spare battery. I've never used one before so can't compare with other red dots, but it's perfect on a cheapie pistol like the Buckmark. It's nice and compact, clear and bright and novel shooting with both eyes open. But most importantly easy to use and just perfect for shot range fast plinking. Can't belive it only cost £12.99. John.
    Last edited by Joncaddy; 06-10-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Quote Originally Posted by Joncaddy View Post
    ....It's the small square tv screen type.....
    Sounds like the holographic type. They are popular because they feel comfortable to look through. I had one but the dot was a bit large and fuzzy, even on the lowest intensity.

red dot sight.

Yes it is a holographic type. It projects the dot onto the screen, better with the brightness turned down a tad. Bit strange until you get used to it, because as long as the dot is on the target, thats where it shoots, regardles of where the dot is within the screen.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

When the eyesight starts to fail us slightly a red dot is the way to go. I have been using one since the early 90's and can highly recommend them.
    As already has been said go for a 3moa or one that has variably dot size.

The most important thing to remember when using a red dot is to focus on the target, not the red dot.
    Let the dot float into the sight picture, then break the shot.
    Most are parrelex free from about 25yds. If you're shooting closer then try and cental the dot in the screen.

Good luck, Phil

Red dot sight

Purchased mine from the site sponsor Ramsbottom
    It is not to heavy and the red dot is adjustable in brightness I use it on No.1 Most of the time and 3-4 for sunlight days tops is 10
    It is a Reflex x 30 it is non magnifying and I use it with both eyes open for a unrestricted view ,so much easier to spot the rats moving about
    Can not remember the price
    I was asked by a local farmer to preserve wildlife!!!
    Any one want a pickled squirrel ???

I ended up with one of these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019YYDJSC

They're out of stock at the moment but there are a lot of others that look identical at a similar price.

Quite pleased with it for IPAS (which was my intent) but I don't think I could do "proper" target shooting with it. Might have a go though..

n.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."