Thread: Atherton indoor range

Atherton indoor range

Got a week off work coming up and fancy a trip up, when is the quietest time to go?

Cheers, Andy
    NO LONGER My s410

It varies dude, it can be quiet or busy at any time.

I generally go on a Friday evening, but I've not had many chances in the last few months so things may have changed.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I've noticed it gets quieter before T time, and then busies up a bit after words. I guess people go for the afternoon and then go home for T, and the evening shift have not yet got there, so 3.30 to 6.30pm is my tupence worth.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I have not been there for a few months now but I always used to go for the " morning " more like the 12.15 pm, session and for me that was the best time. Avoid it at Sats and Suns as it can get very busy.
    The problem with arriving at a bad time is that you can not walk up the range to set your paper target up for zeroing or rifle/pellet testing, so you might have to wait a good half hour and just plink the spinners until a stop to shooting has been called.
    Becky( the owner ) was going to put electric operated targets and controls but that was before Xmas so I don't know if it has happened or not, it would be a great improvement if she has done it.
    BTW, don't go anywhere near the rifle or the bench when she has called a stop or you get told off badly.

A.G

Give them a ring. Very supportive staff.

Cheers guys, I'll probably aim to get there for when it opens...

Andy.
    NO LONGER My s410

As we don't book lanes we never know how busy it will be at any given time, there doesn't seem to be any set pattern, it does vary each day and varies through the day. We do have two air rifle ranges now though so there is plenty of space for shooters. You can also use the pistol range for zeroing rifles if you wish. We have a minimum of 20 minutes between target changes because we don't want to be stopping your shooting too frequently (we asked shooters how long they wanted between target changes and it was decided by them that 20 minutes was a reasonable amount of time), but we don't do them at set times so if you are wanting a range shut let a member of staff know and we'll do one as quickly as we can for you.
    We are going to be installing full electric recall targets, we've actually just built the prototype and it's up and running on our new rimfire range, so it is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Shewolf View Post
    We are going to be installing full electric recall targets, we've actually just built the prototype and it's up and running on our new rimfire range, so it is coming
    Including the 10m pistol range ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Including the 10m pistol range ?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Shewolf View Post
    Yes
    Thanks Becky (I presume). Can you post on this thread, or better still make an announcement, when it's done ?
    Thanks, Mike & now Donna (pistol shooters)

Ps. you REALLY need to add an achery range

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Thanks Becky (I presume). Can you post on this thread, or better still make an announcement, when it's done ?
    Thanks, Mike & now Donna (pistol shooters)

Ps. you REALLY need to add an achery range
    You're welcome, and yes it is me (Becky) . Keep an eye on our Facebook page as that's where we make all of our announcements. It's easier for both us and our shooters if we have one place for them to look for news and info. You do not need to have a Facebook account to view our page, and there's a link to it in our website.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Okay - I know this will sound a bit techy........however.....

When I have used the pistol range, the nature of the sights most people use mean you cannot actually see if your hitting the target, or where. With cheap cctv cameras these days it would be possible to have a camera focused on each target and displayed on either a few small screens, or one big one split into 4/8 etc.

This would make a big difference to those who use the range for a relatively small investment.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I take a scope, but good idea ! I'd give them some time though as they are heavily investing money at the moment to make it the best around.

Look forward to the retratable targets,just another string in the bow for a great club.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Okay - I know this will sound a bit techy........however.....

When I have used the pistol range, the nature of the sights most people use mean you cannot actually see if your hitting the target, or where. With cheap cctv cameras these days it would be possible to have a camera focused on each target and displayed on either a few small screens, or one big one split into 4/8 etc.

This would make a big difference to those who use the range for a relatively small investment.

James
    Birdwood casey shoot n c targets, on you can get 60 6inch targets for £20.