Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
Solid price realised.

Mint in box, or at least factory fresh not fired are becoming increasingly difficult to find. The box is cardboard so is important only in that it ensures the contents are beyond reproach. Best if rifle is in plastic, as some packing comes with its own dangers.
Time sitting doing nothing brings its own problems. Really does require best dry storage conditions. When it goes wrong it happens fast. Undetected and damage, rust goes deep.
I'm a strong believer in factory fresh from 1979/80 onwards. Before that its just condition. That start time line because manufacturing changed and the mass market took off again. It was the start of the next "age" of airgun shooting.

So boxed or just factory fresh is because a "new" gun has an appeal all by itself, like a mint coin or stamp. The negative, huge negative, is they can't be used. They don't even have to work. Some of the plastics can't be touched as they will self destruct. If you want to shoot the type then there are plenty of very nice used ones for that, and without any premium. In truth the premium isn't enough to justify the rarity or give any return. The collectors enjoyment of ownership is the return.

Some people buy into mint some don't, its their choice. I think its good for some to be kept "perfect", when there are so many not. If you come across a minter and want to shoot the rifle, just sell it on and buy a user... and take a profit if you get it cheap enough. Well thats what I do.
I think I would tend to agree with a lot of that!

ASM