Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor shooting?

Indoor shooting?

I'm wondering if anyone does or has useful info about target shooting indoors as in inside your house.

I have a decently long space but the noise is more than I thought it would be.

If using FHM and GQ magazines as a back stop then be careful as after three of four shots in the same place you'll hear a thumb as the pellet hits your bedroom door

Why not join a club. There are a couple in the Plymouth area and you'll get to meet and learn from fellow shooters. Yealmpton seem a pretty good club.

I had a try with the paignton one but you need to attend monday evenings for a few months on probation to become a member and that wasn't possible.

Hadn't seen that particular list before I will check the others. Thanks.

I have a 6m range in my house, the back stop is the front of a old gas boiler lined with Argos catalogs opened up around the middle pages then flattened out, the target is attached to a bit of old carpet or cardboard (I'm finding that pellets fired from low powerd co2 pistols are bouncing out)
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...pspqdyix0k.jpg
    The more observant of you will have noticed the doors ether side of the target, it's not an optical illusion, they are only about 1 m apart
    The light is a salvaged emergency light (thanks to some local sparky) the internals were scraped and 3 12v cob LEDs attached to heat sinks were put in with a 12v computer case fan blowing air into the housing (yes the LEDs can get that hot) I will post the voltages and the Amps when I get the chance.
    The 3 LEDs are taking 1.5A @10.5 V, at 12.5v it's 2.5A
    Last edited by airgunnut; 07-10-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwired View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone does or has useful info about target shooting indoors as in inside your house.

I have a decently long space but the noise is more than I thought it would be.
    I think much depends on where the noise is coming from. If its the pellet hitting the target/ back stop, then you can do a lot to quieten it down. I use Plumber's Mate to line my backstop which is very quiet.

However, if its the gun which is making the noise, then it will be a lot harder to quieten down. A decent silencer on a PCP will do the trick, of course, but if you want to shoot springers, the noise of the action alone may be quite loud. Often people shoot in a hallway, which has little furniture in it to absorb/dissipate the noise and hence everything is louder.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Wear ear defenders & carry on shooting.

A guy i knew a few years ago, was clearing out his dads flat after he had passed away, & in a box of war souvenirs he found an old Beretta handgun. While trying to make it "safe", it went off fully auto, shooting 5 holes in the door of the room he was in, he slowly opened the door, & looked down the corridor, there were no bodies (!) but he saw 5 holes in the kitchen door, but the pattern was a lot wider then the first one, he slowly opened the kitchen door, to again find no bodies, but 3 holes in the fridge & 2 in the cupboard above.

Shooting indoors is great fun.....

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post

A guy i knew a few years ago, was clearing out his dads flat after he had passed away, & in a box of war souvenirs he found an old Beretta handgun. While trying to make it "safe", it went off fully auto, shooting 5 holes in the door of the room he was in, he slowly opened the door, & looked down the corridor, there were no bodies (!) but he saw 5 holes in the kitchen door, but the pattern was a lot wider then the first one, he slowly opened the kitchen door, to again find no bodies, but 3 holes in the fridge & 2 in the cupboard above.

Rob
    With a bit of practice he'll get smaller groups than that. LOL. Pete. PS. Couldn't resist it. Sorry!
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

If you do shoot indoors you will hit things you don't want to.
    I use Airsoft when the weather is poor.
    Less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    With a bit of practice he'll get smaller groups than that. LOL. Pete. PS. Couldn't resist it. Sorry!
    Interestingly his name was Pete.....

Rob

I shoot in the cellar, walls lined with plywood an cardboard. I only shoot pistols and low powered rifles down there. Lights are enclosed and out the way.

There's some noise, but it's bearable. Got a table chair an music down there. It's accessed thru a door outside, so I can extend the range by shooting across the yard into the cellar. Not something I do often tho, there's a kid here.

Lucky to have the space, I've shot in-house before and the wife went ape. That was an enclosed long corridor, but it was dark and narrow. Its better than nothing tho, and we buy these guns to shoot, as well as sit there and stroke whilst we watch TV. (I can't be the only one)

Think I'd consider BBs tho. Bet the balls everywhere would irritate the wife! Never really played with proper ones. Had a g10, but it's poo.

Ouch about the Beretta handgun, could have been really serious. Bet there's a lot of war souvenirs out there, just waiting to be found.

Rick.

If I'm not shooting at gun club I shoot indoors too, I stand in my bedroom fire out of my bedroom through the hallway and into my little girls room where I put the traps.
    I have a few homemade traps but the one I use mostly is made from wood etc, it's a solid wooden box type trap with a lead panel slightly angled back stop that is then wrapped in a two thick t-shirts, then the whole box is filled with pillow wadding, this stops basically 100% of rebounds the only time I might get one is when the trap has a few thousand BB's in it and is in need of a clean, the lid is made from a removable steel panel so after 2000+ shots/rounds I lift up the lid pull out the wadding and shake it into a black bag and most of the BB's come out, the wadding lasts about 30000 shots/rounds before it needs replacing.
    It too is loud shooting in my house as the guns firing echoes, my trap and back stop is quite silent it's just the guns you hear, but I have a cool wife, she don't mind me having a shoot indoors.
    You can see my trap in a few of my YouTube videos, after Christmas though I'm going to make a new one I have a good few ideas.
    Happy shooting ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

I use my Maruzen Hammerli APS-3, a 5 shot 6mm airsoft target pistol which is very accurate. Low noise and potential damage. Good practice for future serious target shooting.

Baz

http://i.imgur.com/uZEXMCb.jpg
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Should have kept that!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Should have kept that!
    Still in the Lend/Lease collection. When The Rapture takes place, come round and claim it from my kids who will probably be left behind.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post

Rob
    Ah, yes! The Oscar Pistorius School of Marksmanship!

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .